6 DEGREES IN GEORGIA - WOW!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Granolamom, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    I just went outside to check on my fluffy Seven, and they are all standing around, puffed up, and looking pretty miserable for the 1st time since temps here in Georgia have been falling. Looks like 6 Degrees at 9am is where they draw the line! Frieda, my BR hen, is trying to stick one of her feet under Chuck (our BR roo's) wing, and he's actually letting her! I brought them some warm water, and their usual cold weather breakfast of oatmeal with fruit and joghurt, which they gobbled down, but now I'm wondering how they'll spend the rest of the day, because the ground is frozen solid, so there's nothing for them to do (might have to break down and get some crickets from Petsmart....)

2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Its in the low teens here. I was worried about my animals. I went out to feed water and check on them and they were all acting like the cold didn't bother them.

3. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well at least is 30 here right now, but the chickens still arent happy about it, lol. Looks like today is going to be the coldest day for this 10 day cold snap for us. Where the heck are you Spring!

4. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    I know the feeling. The Alberta Clipper has hit here to. -10 at 7:00 A.M. this morning. [​IMG] [​IMG] A warm breakfast for mine to!

5. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    7 degrees here in North Ga. and all is well. I have 2 that are laying so I will have to check the boxes in the next hour to make sure the eggs are not frozen.
    Went out to give them water and spilled some on my gloves and they froze in just mins. lol
    Gave them some nice warm oatmeal this morning too!
    My daughter had some hand warmers that you snap a metal thing inside of them and they stay warm and then you boil them and then you can use them again, so I put these in the chickens water to help keep it warm. pretty smart on my part but I won't tell her....lol

6. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:Thank you, GaDawg, you just solved my frozen water problem (I keep running out there, and adding hot water to the waterer, but that's going to get real old, real soon).

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We had a 10 with a wind chill of -5 this morning. The girls water had frozen solid. I gave them warm water and a big bowl of warm oatmeal. But, they don't really seem bothered either.

I vaselined the roo and some hens with big combs.

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    One of of my mallards is doing its part to keep the water defrosted. It is sitting in it. Ducks are not too smart.[​IMG]

9. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    Your welcome Granolamom. I also boil my water before I take it out there.

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    My faithful galvanized waterer and heater held up last night to 5 F. The girls ran out of their coop to chug down nice heated water, and they were a bit grumpy since I let them out late. DH hooked up a cage with two hot shop lights inside, so they can gather 'round or even perch on top safely . . .

And my banties don't even know what all the fuss is about in their big banty playhouse with its cozy heater.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by