6 eggs/4 chickens, is this chicken math?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamaguigan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. mamaguigan

mamaguigan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Pittsfield
    I went out this morning to do my chicken chores, and there was a lady on the nest, and under her was an egg. We have 4 buff orps. and get 2-4 eggs a day. I just picked up one daughter from school and she ran out to check for eggs and came back with 5 more! And the lady was still sitting on them all!! Not sure how the other chickens got their eggs under her![​IMG] Just wondered if this is normal, I thought one egg a day per chicken.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    A chicken will lay an egg every 27-38 hours or so.

Chicken Math has to do with how many chickens you actually have versus how many you say you have. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. mamaguigan

Jan 1, 2011
    Pittsfield
    So, I still don't understand how I got 6 eggs in a 8 hour period from 4 chickens. And I was being sarcastic about the chicken math![​IMG]

4. WV_Chicken

WV_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Augusta, WV
    Is it possible they buried two of them yesterday then uncovered them today??

5. mamaguigan

Jan 1, 2011
    Pittsfield
    I don't know, my kids are pretty good at egg collecting, and they all use the same nest box, but I guess anything is possible!! Sure was surprising! We probably won't get any tomorrow!!

6. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    I have to agree that anything is possible, even is chickens are SUPPOSED to lay about an egg a day. When I had 6 hens & 2 roos (I have more now--the chicken math thing), I frequently got 6 eggs a day. Then two different times, after a 6-egger day, I found SEVEN the next day, followed by 6 the day after. So, I think sometimes the equipment speeds up or gets a little out of sync . . . . . unless anybody thinks one of the roos contributed the extra egg?? (I'm still new at this, but I don't think the roo idea is very likely!) Enjoy & appreciate their generosity!

7. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Quote:You might get a few but I would like to know if you get any eggs tomorrow. [​IMG]

8. mamaguigan

Jan 1, 2011
    Pittsfield
    I did get 3 more eggs the next day, and their norm is 2-4 a day. So I don't know what happened. But it sure was exciting!! I know, only chicken people get other chicken people!! and the eggs we got were all normal sized. Now I'm trying to keep them happy in the snow!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by