1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

6 Extremely Rare Crevecoeur Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Rare Feathers Farm, May 17, 2010.

1. These are one of the few batches I'll be selling this spring. My incubators are both full and I contacted the four people on my list and they either had full incubators too or they couldn't buy right now...so I'm offering these for sale now.

I am only offering 6 eggs although I will certainly include any extras laid within the next day.

My hens' backs are bald so they've now been separated from the rooster to allow time to grow some feathers back and give them a break. Fertility has been tested (I got 6 out of 6 eggs to hatch here on the farm). The hens are 1 and 3 years old. The rooster is one year old.

If you're not familiar with this breed, check out my page about them in the BYC breeds section.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will go out & take some pics of the chicks this morning!

Last edited: May 17, 2010

2. still available...

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Dangit woman! You are always putting up Sumatras and LBCochins and now THESE when my bator is full!

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Quote:LOL Sorry!

6. Quote:perhaps you need another bator? That seems like a good solution to me! LOL

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:perhaps you need another bator? That seems like a good solution to me! LOL

That is actually the PERFECT solution! But DH doesn't think so. So I'm stuck with 2 'bators.

I am keeping track of what auctions you post, so hopefully we will, sooner or late, have eggs and room in the 'bators at the same time.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Where did you get your crevecoeur? I was told on this forum that the way to tell crevecoeur from Polish was that Polish had white earlobes and crevecoeur had red, however, I do not know if that is true or not.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. Quote:Creves are supposed to have red (or close to it) earlobes. Mine started out white and then slowly turned pink to a reddish color as the birds have matured. Some will have more white in the earlobes (I have seen this in hatchery stock) because Polish have been used to bring them back from near extinction & to increase their numbers. There are other ways to tell a Crevecoeur from a Polish, too... My chickens' beards have three-clumps, the nice v-combs, pretty small wattles (on the roosters, none on the hens unless you dig for them), no white anywhere & good temperaments.

My original pair I bought from Royce (tailfeatherz) off this website. He used to show them and I think they did pretty well. I lost the rooster but was able to salvage some eggs last spring and hatched out two more roosters before I got another hen. I culled one (sold him to an old lady who thought she HAD to have a rooster for her hens to lay, didn't care what breed he was, after her 10 year old rooster died). The other I've kept. He's still not quite what I'd like to have as a breeder so he'll be replaced with whatever I get from my two tubs of chicks I have now. I have some Sandhill (I bought 5 chicks but they included an extra) and I hatched out some more chicks (6 of my own) to increase my flock. So I'll be up to 15 birds if all of my chicks make it to adult chicken-hood. [​IMG] I am planning to keep one rooster from the Sandhill line & one from mine to see which one turns out the best. I'm in desperate need of more hens, though so I'm also keeping as many as I have room for. I really love these birds...and they are in desperate need of help & preservation. Probably just as much as the Orloffs...if not more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by