6' Ghosts Banned?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PineappleMama, Oct 27, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/momentsofmotherhood/how-old-is-too-old-for-trick-or-treating-2403664/

Just in time for Hallow's Eve here's an article about a town (and mentions a couple more) that have an ordinance in place banning teens from trick or treating. This particular town set the age cut off at 12, which is what most restaurants deem as too old for the Kid's Menu... so I can see that logic. Not like parents and kids aren't used to seeing that cut off.

Me? I HAD to take my little sis and bro around. The parents were so NOT getting off their tails and doing it. But I didn't dress up passed 5th or 6th grade, can't recall exactly, just wore normal clothes and went along with them. Quite often the neighbor would offer me a treat as well, and that was nice, other times they didn't, and that was okay. Being an adult now I know just how much that candy costs and how fast it goes when there are whole herds of kids out. Not giving a piece to me means you do have one for the pretty fairy princess who's parents made her get a late start. And I can live with that.

Wonder if I should put up a sign.... you know at McD's it's Ronald or Hamburgler or something and he's holding his hand up... no one taller than this... maybe I could make a witch or maybe a goblin... yeah goblins are short right? Only visitors as short as me get treats. Giants must go to Kroger. [​IMG]

Though, odds are I'd make an exception for the ones who're stuck taking younger sibs out... bonus points if they got suckered into being Peter to their little Sis's Tink. [​IMG]

2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I actually give the teens candy too. I don't want them toilet papering or egging my house after I go to bed.

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    We live in such a small town all the kids go out for Halloween, even the teenagers go out. As long as they put in the effort to dress up and they are polite I give them candy. If the older kids are rude or can't be bothered to put on a costume, I give them raisins. Even before we moved out here to the middle of nowhere I have done that.

This year we will be lucky to get more than a handful of kids because Halloween falls on a Sunday.

Thankfully I have never had my house egged or tp'd![​IMG]

4. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I agree with some of his reasoning but the age limit is way to low. Even setting a height requirement wouldn't be fair, my grandson who is 14 now was as tall as me by the time he was 11 (5'6").
    We are out in a country community, and there are very few kids but I think I would still give out candy to the teens under 18. Not all kids grow up as fast as others and they shouldn't be left out.
    No need to take the fun out of Halloween for the kids.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    my kids trick or treat from about 5 months old till 18 years old [​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I lived in one of those small towns too. We trick or treated until we were 18. I started getting neices and nephews when I was 12 so I got to take them for several years longer! When they started going out on their own, We(my younger sister and I) would dress up and set on the porch to give out goodies.

Once you get to college you get to dress up all over again. Not only for parties, but for fund raising events for school clubs at Parks & Rec Halloween events for little kids.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Years ago when I lived in a development I would give candy to anyone who made the effort to get dressed up and came to my door. I usually averaged about 100 kids in the township authorized 2 hours period. My daughter went out until she was about 13 then gave it up on her own preferring to stay at home and hand out candy to the little ones.

Now I live in the boonies and can see one other house in the summer and 2 in the winter ~ we haven't gotten a single trick-or-treater trek up our 250' drive in the dark woods in the past 7 years. I miss the fun of seeing all of the kids in costumes.

I still buy a pack of full sized candy bars ~ just in case. I always get a kind I really like! [​IMG]

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    I agree with a size limitation for candy, but perhaps we should make it a maximum width instead of height.....and then sign it into federal law....and make it apply year 'round, even at stores.

[​IMG]

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Only reason I'm thinking about it is that I really have run out... after spending a LOT to stock up on our tight budget... kids come from all over town to our area, not just our neighbors and so I've run out and had to tell little ones who I do know, live right down the street, that I'm all out. I HATE doing that. If trimming a little from the teens, who've already gotten their years and years of treats will prevent me having to be 'mean' to a little sweetheart who still believes in Santa... yeah, seems worth it.

Agree on the height thing though, that's be a pain because my little brother was near 5' by 11... I think age works though...

If you're a teen this isn't your scene but if you're little come get a vittle.

Vittles are food right? But spell check is saying that vittle, singular, isn't a word... hmm.

If you're little and sweet come get a treat. 7th grade or more, try next door.

Eh, it's a work in progress.

Got a mental picture of a pile of fairies, animals, gremlins, etc holding up a sign... great idea, but a great big Yeah Right on ME being able to paint it. Hmm... maybe I could d├ęcoupage it?

10. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I dont mind giving dressed up kids candy- anyone under eighteen in a costume. What bothers me the most is the parents that are pushing a stroller with a baby too small to eat ANY candy, who are trick or treating for "the baby"...or the kid who comes with two bags, one for "his little sister who is home, sick" (uh, if thats true, share your bag with her), or the hords of teens that come late, and they arent in costume at all.
    My daughter is fourteen, she wants to trick or trick. My son is seventeen- he doesnt trick or treat. his choice.

I worry that if we make a cut-off age, we will see an increase of vandalism and stolen bags of candy from little kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by