6 happy pullets one new cockrel

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newchic6, Nov 17, 2016.

1. newchic6

newchic6 New Egg

Nov 17, 2016
    Can anybody give me suggestions about why one hen who was/is my sweetie is being rejected by my new cockrel/rooster and now one of the other hens picks on her also.
    I just noticed that she has a spot of blood on her comb.
    She started broodiness but will wander out and try and join the flock but the roo and/or the hen will chase her back in the coop.
    I have an 8x10 shed for coop and an 8x12 fully fenced run.
    She stopped laying. This has been going on for a few days.
    When I got the rooster I noticed he was sick. I isolated him and took him to avian vet. A couple of antibiotic shots and vetrx did the trick.
    I am looking forward to them all getting along. Is this an unrealistic goal?

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! When a hen is broody she usually gets knocked down a place or two in the pecking order. That is what happened to my broody Silkie. Before she was broody, she was high in the pecking order. But after a while the rest of the flock kinda forgot about her because she hadn't ranged with them like she usually did. That is probably what happened to your hen, for more about the pecking order I would check out this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-guide-to-understanding-the-chicken-pecking-order

And when hens are broody, they stop laying eggs and go into sitting mode.
    Here is a link about hens and laying: http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/11/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-eggs.html

If I were you, I would keep her separated with some chicken wire so the rest of the flock can see her, but not peck or harm her.
    And last but not least, I would check out the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    I hope this helps you, enjoy your time on BYC and best wishes! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Once chickens see a wound, especially red, they will continue to peck at it. That is their nature. When a flock gets involved they can end up killing an injured bird, or one they decided they don't care for. Also when chickens are overcrowded they can act out in very unpleasant ways, the most extreme is cannibalism.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. You've had some good advice above.

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The only thing I can think to add to the above is to use a dab of Blu-Kote on your girl's comb wound so the other chickens won't be drawn to it.

Thanks for joining us!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, newchic6, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! RodNTN gave you a lot of great research links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by