1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

6 Hens, 4 eggs in 4 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by churchillcoop, Jul 11, 2010.

1. churchillcoop

churchillcoop In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Innisfil Ontario
    I recently jumped into hen keeping and having a great time! I have 6 hens that are 8 months approx. We have had them for 4 days. We have 4 eggs so far..

My first question is: Are they just getting used to their new home? I was told I should be expecting an egg a day per hen.

2nd question is: They have been sleeping in the run.. is there something I could do to encourage them to sleep in the coop for when winter is here? I realized today that their food has been in the run...should I move it to the coop?

Third question: When is it ok to let them free range?

Thanks ahead of time!!

Jeff

2. MaKettle

MaKettle Songster

I think I can give you some advice on #2...

The first night I had my girls in their new coop & run, I had to actually lead them into the coop & shut them in. We did this for approximately 3 nights until the chicks finally put themselves to sleep in the coop. They do this every night & we don't even shut the coop door (because its attached to the enclosed run). They go in at night, just before dusk & are up & running around the run when I come out in the morning. They do not need any food or water in the middle of the night so its ok for you to leave it in the run..

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My first question is: Are they just getting used to their new home? I was told I should be expecting an egg a day per hen.

Probably so. I have always been told that hens will often wait as long as a month to start laying again after they are moved to a new location/situation. You probably have only one hen laying right now.

2nd question is: They have been sleeping in the run.. is there something I could do to encourage them to sleep in the coop for when winter is here? I realized today that their food has been in the run...should I move it to the coop?

With new chickens, if these ladies are your entire flock, i would lock them in the coop for a few days before letting them out into the run. This way they understand where home is, and they automatically "go home" when it starts getting dark.

As far as the food, i keep mine in the coop because that keeps it dry. But where the food is doesn't have a lot to do with where they choose to sleep.

Third question: When is it ok to let them free range?

After they have learned where home is it's fine. If you are only going to let them free range for a few hours per day, you will find it easier to do so in the evening. This way, they will put themselves to bed at dark, and you won't be trying to round them up in the middle of the day when they don't want to go in.

Congratulations on your new flock! You're bound to have a lot of fun!​

4. churchillcoop

Jul 9, 2010
    Innisfil Ontario
    Any tricks you have for intriguing them into the coop at night? Thanks! They go in there off and on during the day.. but at night.. nope.

Jeff

5. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Songster

Nov 30, 2009
    I had same question and another person on this forum told me to pick up the chickens at night and put them where you want them to sleep. They're real easy to handle after dark, so just pick 'em up, put 'em where you want them. You only have to do this for a few days or evenings -- they will get it and start putting themselves to bed in the right place on their own.

I did this with mine and it worked within three days. They've been taking themselves up to the henhouse and putting themselves to bed ever since.

Don't know about the laying - I have 7 hens and one started laying about 6 days ago. She lays every day but I'm wondering when the others will start catching up!

Oh yeah, their food is outside the coop so they have it all day but not at night.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  6. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Quote:Hi there, this is exactly what I did with my birds. They were getting ready to sleep on the floor of the coop. I picked each one up and put them on the roost. I felt so bad because they were so quiet and content when I entered the coop and when I left they were not too happy! 8 out of 10 of the birds stayed on the roost that night and 2 others found another spot to sleep. The next night, all 10 were on the roost all by themselves when I went to check on them!

7. churchillcoop

Jul 9, 2010
    Innisfil Ontario
    Ironically last night 4 of the 6 hens slept inside the coop. Tonight I will observe them and those that do not make it into the coop for the night I will place them there.. I sure appreciate the advice folks!!

Jeff

8. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They have to get used to roosting--I always make sure my hens are roosting where I want them before allowing them to free range. It means they'll go in at night and I don't have to chase them.

9. churchillcoop

Jul 9, 2010
    Innisfil Ontario
  10. michpetea

michpetea Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi Jeff.

Your coop looks great. We live close, north of Barrie in Coldwater. We also just started with a few backyard chickens (pullets) this summer. Have you thought of how you're overwintering the girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by