6 Hens but never 6 eggs. Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickendude, Dec 28, 2009.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    My 6 RIR hens have been laying for almost 12 weeks. I will get 5 eggs one day then 3 or 4 the next day then 5 again the following day. But I have never got 6 eggs in a day. I am wondering if one didn't start laying or if that is the cycle they are on. Any opinions?

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I have no idea! It confuses me muchly that so many people say that they dont have everyone laying everyday, mine always lay everyday. I would expect RIR to lay daily at this point in their life.

Then again, isnt it winter on your side of the world? That doesnt help

ETA: not every every day.. they take a day or 2 off a month, but most mornings I find 3 eggs neatly piled in the nest

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    In my experience I have noticed that some are " every other day" hens! I don't know why that is. I have 18 hens and when they are laying normal (they are just now coming out of a molt) I get anywhere from 12- 16 a day.

4. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Yes it is winter on my side of the globe. But I find it strange to not get 6 in a day. Even if only once every few days.

5. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Every other day hens? ok that sounds plausible that I have one of those. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  6. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Yes, I agree with thechickenchick, some of my hens lay every other day or so.

Also, the daylight times could be affecting their productivity.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You could have one hen that isn't laying at all.

8. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Mahonri I think you may be correct. I am hoping that if this is the case she will begin in the spring.

9. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    Winter, lack of daylight, and the cold weather makes a difference. When you get into April or May I think you will see your maximum egg production.

10. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I have 5 hens of 5 different breeds. They started laying in mid August. During September and early October we had 5-egg-days pretty often, but now I get 3-4 eggs per day. Now when I get a 5-egg day I cheer!

When my Egyptian Fayoumis was molting she took about 3 weeks off. My Red Star hasn't taken a single day off since late August. The others lay for 2 or 3 or 4 days, variably, then take one day off, with nobody in synch. I expect them to pick up the pace as the days get longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by