6 hour after hatch question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Feb 6, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    This poor chick is trying to stand up with not much success. It is a wonder it hasn't broken it's neck. After it is 24 hours old will it be able to stand and walk around before I move it to the brooder. Sure hope it makes it that far. I need as much advise as I can get. My first hatch. John

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    has it had any water or feed yet? also you might try some nutri drench for poultry too. also sugar water is good for them too. or if in a pinch ..baby liquid vitamins. Also is it warm enough? just a few things I was thinking while reading

3. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Still wet. It has only been 6 hours from hatch.

4. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    count toes if you can I had one that had a curled or folded toe and couldn't walk very well I taped it up as recommended on here and now he walks just fine.

Kasi

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it's freshly hatched, just 6 hours, let it be. Some take longer than others to stand and walk. For me, I find it takes about 24 hours for chicks to stand up without a bad tipping and wobble. Chicks have asorbed a yolk sac too, so no need to give it food or water for the first day or two. They have enough energy stores to last 3 days. In addition, if they cannot walk, they may not yet have the muscle control to swallow right, and when I was young, made the mistake of trying to feed a newly hatched water too soon and it choked on the water.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Agrees with what Silkie is telling you........

7. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    It seems to be getting better every hour. Do they sleep the first night? I turned out the light and only some reflections coming from the kitchen. He hasn't slowed down. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by