6 in 1 night :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Charlotte, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hey guys,

All up I have had 10 killed I caught the dog that took the first 4 and took him to the pound, Now I just had 6 eaten in 1 night, only found a few feathers [​IMG]
    Any idea's on what to do? I just got a new rooster and he went too [​IMG] He was one of my Favorites because I wanted a rooster FOR SOOOOOO LONG [​IMG]

I am really upset I have 2 left and one was chewed up so I am helping her and she is recovering really well! And the other had not even lost a feather!!

[​IMG] I am so UPSET ANY IDEAS WOULD BE FANTASTIC:yiipchick!

Charlotte

2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    When did this happen? What were the circumstances?

3. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:About a week ago [​IMG] They just diserpered that night I was away and my mum left the cage open! But still what can I do to keep them safe if a dog knows there there he will come back!

4. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I am soo sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope you find out what is going on. Best of wishes.

5. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Erin~TheChickenLover :

I am soo sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope you find out what is going on. Best of wishes.

Thankyou [​IMG]

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:About a week ago [​IMG] They just diserpered that night I was away and my mum left the cage open! But still what can I do to keep them safe if a dog knows there there he will come back!

How horrible. Really, the only thing you can do is make sure to predator proof the area they spend their days and nights in. If that is a coop/run, it can be easy but expensive. If this is happening while they are out free ranging during the day...I don't know. There is no way to fully safeguard them while they are out of the coop and running free.

If you need to fortify your coop, there are many plans and discussions on this site, in the appropriate forum.

7. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD

How horrible. Really, the only thing you can do is make sure to predator proof the area they spend their days and nights in. If that is a coop/run, it can be easy but expensive. If this is happening while they are out free ranging during the day...I don't know. There is no way to fully safeguard them while they are out of the coop and running free.

If you need to fortify your coop, there are many plans and discussions on this site, in the appropriate forum.

Thankyou for the information I will have a look!

8. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Oh Charlotte, I am so sorry. I honestly thought that everything would be fine since you caught the dog. I am guessing that it was the work of more then one animal, probably a pack of dogs. (that, or Barry got hungry)
    What are your plans now? Are you going to start again, get more chickens? That would be fun, There's lots of breeds to choose from.

9. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Thanks,

Well I am going to get some more, and I am probably going to build a run and only let the chickens like 2 times a week (fully out of the run) Yes it will be fun to start again! The remaining left are Omelet and Tweety it is great Tweety is still alive, she will be able to hatch some chicks if she goes broody! Omelet got ripped up but she is back laying and her feathers are growing back so that is really good! I am scared that Tweety might be laying in her old broody spot! This is a BIG favor but could you please have a look? She always goes in there and then comes back out and spends the day around the house finally! I am really sorry she goes over but at the moment there is nothing I can do because down at Donna's there is really no point [​IMG]

So yea I am getting 2 baby ducks, I dont know what type to get though! And I think a couple of pure bred chicks to show, and then I dont know all up I think I want to have about.... 10 including the ducks. Maby 11! But I wont be getting any more until after Christmas though because we are going to Bali.

Thanks though [​IMG]

10. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:Thanks,

Well I am going to get some more, and I am probably going to build a run and only let the chickens like 2 times a week (fully out of the run) Yes it will be fun to start again! The remaining left are Omelet and Tweety it is great Tweety is still alive, she will be able to hatch some chicks if she goes broody! Omelet got ripped up but she is back laying and her feathers are growing back so that is really good! I am scared that Tweety might be laying in her old broody spot! This is a BIG favor but could you please have a look? She always goes in there and then comes back out and spends the day around the house finally! I am really sorry she goes over but at the moment there is nothing I can do because down at Donna's there is really no point [​IMG]

So yea I am getting 2 baby ducks, I dont know what type to get though! And I think a couple of pure bred chicks to show, and then I dont know all up I think I want to have about.... 10 including the ducks. Maby 11! But I wont be getting any more until after Christmas though because we are going to Bali.

Thanks though [​IMG]

Bali sounds fun [​IMG] why have you chosen to go there?
    I bet you can't wait to get back into poultry. Have you decided on a breed yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by