6 inch cut in skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jskeener, Feb 6, 2016.

1. jskeener

jskeener New Egg

May 31, 2012
    Winnsboro. Texas
    I have a buff orpington we think was attacked by dog. She has a 6 inch cut on her back in her skin, didn't see it at first (it's under her wing) look a couple days old blood dried and skin edges are dry. What can I do to help her. She seems ok. Not sure if eating or drinking yet, I think she trying to stay away from rooster. Gash is where roosters mount her. Don't know if I should try to sew gash up??? Thanks for any help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The gash could possibly be from the rooster's spurs. It's not good to sew up a wound that is not fresh. You can clean it with Vetericyn, 10?% betadine, chlorhexidene, or peroxide. Then daily apply either Vetericyn, or a plain antibiotic ointment. Do you have a picture? The skin should grow back together over a few weeks unless there is infection. Watch for any foul odor, redness, swelling, or pus. Is she acting okay and eating well?

3. jskeener

jskeener New Egg

May 31, 2012
    Winnsboro. Texas
    I was looking at it a little better today and I think it is from the roosters spurs, notice a worn spot on another hen, and being under her wing didn't notice till last night. It looks like it could be 3-4 days old. Didn't notice odor, pus or swelling. She was out this morning doing her thing and fight for meal worms. So she seems good. It's a good size hole, I'll keep clean w/ antibiotic on it. Thank you and any suggestions for keeping it from getting worse, of course I know I can keep separated but would rather not have to do that. Again, Thank You.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Another thought is to get your rooster at night off the roost when he is sleeping, and blunt his spurs by trimming them slightly or filing them down a little. Toenails might also need a trim.

5. jskeener

jskeener New Egg

May 31, 2012
    Winnsboro. Texas
    Duh! Didn't think of trimming his nails and spurs, will definitely start there. Thank, again!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. Good luck with your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by