6 layers 4.16 avg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raisinemright, Nov 4, 2013.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    So it's been one complete week with our new chickens. They have averaged 4.16 eggs per day between the 6 of them. Does changing the bedding you use and being moved to a new place effect the egg cycle much?

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Chickens can be stressed by any major changes to their environment, though the degree to which they are sensitive to such changes varies. It's typical for chickens to stop laying for a week or two after a move to a new home.

By the sound of it, your chickens have already settled in quite nicely.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  3. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, I wasnt to worried about the numbers actually thought the number is good. My Golden comets are sweet birds and seem to love their new home. hopefully they will get to 6 out of 6 birds!! We are already looking into another 6-8 layers. Not sure if we want to stick with the GC's or try another breed. I love the barred rock's. Thanks again..

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Even solid layers like Golden Comets will probably only lay 4-5 eggs a week, especially this time of year when the days are shorter. A girl's body can only work so fast, after all!

If you like Golden Comets you should also like black sexlink. They are also dynamo layers and in my experience, very good-natured birds. My first experience with barred rocks wasn't great, but I think we just got a bad batch. They were steady layers, but nervous and (in the case of our rooster) aggressive. We're trying them again this year and so far, I have been pleased. My sweetest chicken in the whole flock is a barred rock pullet I named Sweet Basil. (Seen in the picture.)

[​IMG]

There's a lot of wonderful breeds out there, though if your focus is prolific egg production, that limits your options a bit.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by