6 little eggs.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Knighstar679, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    Yesterday 6 little eggs came in my mail. They are Muscovy eggs. They seem like they made it through shipping ok but I might have one that could be scrambled.

The incubators are going and I just have to decide which one I want to use. I am excited to see what happens with these eggs.

Also I think I am horribly addicted to hatching.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Congrats and good luck!

3. HelplessHomeSteader

HelplessHomeSteader Songster

Jul 26, 2018
    Western, PA
    I am very interested and will keep in eye on this thread. I'm on day 32 waiting for a pep from the one that looks strong. We had 9 power outages during this hatch and I lost 3 late. Interested to see how it goes for you. The eggs I received from eBay weighted between 72g -82g my little 72g'er is the one still moving. Did you end up ordering from the same seller? Also could you keep a log of your humidity, curious what % your going to run the entire time

4. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I did end up going with the same person. I have found that dry incubation worked really well for me. That will put me around 28- 36% humidity. But I will keep this thread updated.

5. HelplessHomeSteader

Jul 26, 2018
    Western, PA
    Nice, I ended up doing pretty much the same. My humidity stayed in the 30-40% range with no added water. Eggs lost 10g which was about 14% weight. They all lost almost the same amount even tho some where larger.

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  6. HelplessHomeSteader

Jul 26, 2018
    Western, PA
    @Knighstar679 good and bad news, good news had 3 eggs develop into good looking little ducklings. The bad news I worked 2 (14hr) shifts Friday and Saturday, plus 12hours today and missed internal pep and didn't get to crank up the humidity . So I lost them all. I opened up 2 so far and can see i have Amber fuild in air sac and can see where they broke thru membrane. I believe if I had more experience and paid better attention I would have had 3 beautiful ducks .. instead just lessons learned the hard way

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

So sorry :(

8. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I am so sorry to hear.

9. HelplessHomeSteader

Jul 26, 2018
    Western, PA
    Thanks I learned a lot for next season. Will be trying again In Spring.

10. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I maybe crazy working on hatching out eggs this late in the year.

I just set the eggs today so in 35 days we will see exactly how crazy. But I should know if any that won’t take in a week. Hopefully it’s the same with Muscovy as the rest. I decided to put them in my homemade incubator too. So I will be hand turning these guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: