6 mo old millie hen with sudden chronic diarreah

allmypeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Maine
Ive a 6mo old little mille fleur d'uccle who has suddenly taken on some diarreah. She has normal fudgey ceacal poos on schedule, but NO solid poos.

it has been hot weather so i contributed it to drinking alot of water...however I am suspicous it may be not so normal as my cochins poos are all normal and for the most part, because they have not taken to the millie, she has been inside in air conditioning ans still she drinks huge amounts of water and had had NO normal stools for 2 weeks now. The stools are projectile and quite large amounts soaking up her woodchips and I am starting to worry perhaps toxicity...i cant imagine what else as she has been very sheltered living in my house and being put out in an area consiting of mainly patio surface with some raised garden beds.

Her favorite spot however is under a burning bush/euonymus and I have seen her eating its leaves, which I soon realized it is listed as a toxic plant causing diarreah... for the past 3 days i have fenced off the bush have been monitoring her indoors...if it is toxicity how long may it take her digestive system to recover, or will it??? she has no other symptoms that i am aware of, seems bright and alert, she never really eats alot but her weight is stable.

and what are the other potential causes of diarreah...i have no sulmet on hand, or anything else...i am going to put her on rice, squash and yogurt for thre next few days.

thanks in advance
smile.png

Last edited:
well, i do have probiotic capsules i can sprinkle on her food then, though rice is bland and easily digestible an squash/pumpkin/oatmeal helps bind loose stool....so we shall see... plan to spinkle a little electrolyte in the mix hopefully I can get her tract back to normal...she has been on cocci medicated started, then on to grower/finisher food. I am nearly out so now at 6mo old i will be switching her to layer crumbles...

Back
Top Bottom