6 mo. still no eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hwlchickmama, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Hwlchickmama

Hwlchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    My 8 girls 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Buff Orpingtons, a Plymouth Rock, 2 Golden laced Wyandottes and a silver laced Wyandotte are 6mo old and I still have no eggs!!! They have nest boxes and they go in them and "make nests" but all they do is poop!!! No eggs!!! What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?[​IMG]

2. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Your not doing anything wrong. You should get eggs from the Wyandottes any time now, from what I've read here. I know that my Ameraucanas didn't start laying until they were almost 8 months old. I thought they would never start. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Nothing. I have 5 girls that are 6 months that haven't laid yet. Just not ready. Short daylight might be slowing the eggs? Maybe add some artificial light?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Well, if they free range they could be hiding them. The day light might have something to do with it as well. What you could do is put a golf ball or any ball or egg shape that size in the nest box. That sort of jump starts them and gives them an idea what is suppose to be in the nest box. They will stop pooping in there soon. It's just one of those things that will pass.

5. FeistyChikin

FeistyChikin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Cove City, NC
    My EE just started laying last week. It took her 7 and 1/2 months. Just be patient. It will happen.
    [​IMG]

6. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Yep. My EE's were the last to lay at 28 1/2 weeks. I know the wait is torturous, but once they start laying you won't even remember it!

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    The latest one of mine laid was 36 weeks. The rest were about 30-32. You're doing fine.

8. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    me too .. so frustrating.. i thought that maybe my EEs were hiding them in the yard so they've been on lock up for a full week now and still no eggs.. aaghhhh

good luck to you..
    blessed be )O(Pink

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Some breeds take longer....my Orloffs & Light Sussex didn't lay until 9 to 10 months. [​IMG]

10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    i have two LF dark Brahama girls and they are getting the idea.. they have each gone in the box and sat in there for a long time fidgeting around untll one of the girls who needs the box runs them out.. for some reason they will only use one box I have 2 other set up exactly the same and nope they know the difference and will wait in a line to get into the original box.. weird? or normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by