6 month -MAlE OLD ENGLISH GAME - possible mareks? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ModernGame, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ModernGame

ModernGame New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    hi there.

yesterday, after a long search, i finally got a breeding pair of OEG.where i live, they are fairly uncommon. i brought both home, put them in there new cage, and realized the male had a closed foot and was not wanting to walk.

so i did a little searching, and found a couple of possibility's - vitamin deficiency, bumble foot, and them mareks.

at first thought is was vit. deficiency. the next day i realized that his foot was open, and he was walking, but he was still limping - i saw this as a tad improvement, and thought maybe he hurt it on the bumpy road home - today i realize his wing on the opposite side as his limp foot, is dangling. a slight, but noticeable drop in the regular placement. he can still flap them , but it still hangs -and his foot is the same.

this pointed me, to the dreadfull, scary conclusion of mareks. i have had the birds for two days - three tomorrow - and i paid 20$ each for these. i dont want to take him to a vet, pay a large sum of money to hear them say your screwed and give me a bunch of meds that wont help. so what should i do?

theese are my first birds, both are incredibly tame and very nice looking...

should i phone the seller? ask for a refund?

what should i do? what can i do?

please, i know a million other people have asked this, but this all seems a bit different then there situations.

THANKS in advance! e[​IMG]

2. ModernGame

ModernGame New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    bump??

3. ModernGame

ModernGame New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    anybody? help.

4. ModernGame

ModernGame New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    you guys sure know how to, make a forum look good....

help!

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    How well did you look at the birds before you got them? Did you see any problem then? Mareks tends to cause a paralysis in the leg affected, and it should not have improved. Not sure about the wing thing. I know I alsways notice new things about new birds wHen I get them home, but not sure if you could have missed that curled up foot if you got a chance to see them. So, if you did not get a chance to see them before buying them, he could have had it already. Call the seller, tell him, nicely, what's going on. See if he has any suggestions, he may be able to help out.

6. ModernGame

ModernGame New Egg

Sep 15, 2010
    thank you for the reply. i had a sight time to look at him but he was sleeping - i picked them up at night, so i look mainly for color. the female was walking around fine.

today his foot is looking even a bit better but his wing is still a bit droopy. i will phone the seller and ask for suggestions and or/ was he like this when i got him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by