6 month old Ameraucana and no eggs yet? (pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zyklonbetty, Dec 7, 2011.

1. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    Are they generally late bloomers or does this seem a little behind?
    she is a 6/2/11 hatch. I have a wyandotte born the same week that has been laying for almost 2 months!
    my husband just says she's a hawk with a disguise beard hanging around for free meals. What the heck, lady- COME ON!!!
    [​IMG]

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    She is a lovely Easter Egger (not an Ameracuana) and yes they can sometimes take awhile. Fall molts and less daylight will also contribute to lack of eggs or slow starts. Enjoy the eggs when she does start it will be fun waiting to see what color you egg you get.

3. zyklonbetty

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    I purchased her as an Ameraucana, but have wondered. I have checked about kigabatrillion pictures and have gotten mixed reviews. What is going to be the best way to distinguish between the two?

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Where did you get her? Buying from a feed store or hatchery will get you EE's sold as Ameracuana. Buying hatching eggs from eBay will also result in similar results. Buy birds or eggs only from breeders (with good reps). Know your breed, and best way to do this is buy reading the breeds club website and viewing the images posted for approved colors of that breed. EE's can looks a 1000 different ways, but Ameracuana come in limited colors, most are a single solid color at that. Exceptions are blue wheaten and wheaten, but they are their own coloration and have guidelines for how they should appear too.

5. zyklonbetty

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    I got her from a local breeder that only sells "ameraucana," sussex and peafowl. what would be the physical characteristics that would make it easier to distinguish. I will get a more recent picture tomorrow. she has grey legs, no comb, I can not see the color of her ears and she is a much more solid color of blue now, the darker part of her head has since sort of "mellowed out."
    just looking for some tips:)

6. zyklonbetty

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    Oh, and she seemed to finish her molt about a month ago...if that makes a difference.
    I am noticing and aware of the difference the light makes with all of my other birds (backyard chickens, serama, quail and ducks) but i just thought it odd that she never started.

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have an EE that looks almost like her, except mine has lighter colored muffs and beard. I got her as a chick in April 2009 and she did not lay an egg until Jan 2010 - I actually didn't think she was every going to lay, but she finally surprised us. Now that she is over 2 yrs old, she lays fine during the bright light months but forget about it in the winter. None of my other EEs have been this slow about laying so be patient, she will lay on her schedule.

8. zyklonbetty

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    okay..haha. then i wait for replies. this is a photo I found on the internet but looks exactly like her. is this an EE or an ameraucana?
    [​IMG]

9. zyklonbetty

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    Quote:Thank you.
    I guess I have just been spoiled so far and all of my other hens lay on a much more "mommy convenient" schedule (with the exception of my micro serama that I have figured are just physically incapable of it.) I'll just wait...

10. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Check
    this link for all of the APA approved colors for true Ameraucanas. [​IMG] If she matches the breed description and fits in a color category then she is an Ameraucana, if she doesn't fit the standards that are listed then she is an EE. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by