6 month old Barred Rock and no egg yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by glandongirl, Nov 16, 2014.

1. glandongirl

glandongirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    My 6 mth old barred rock hasn't laid an egg yet! She was raising a ruckus a couple weeks ago. I only have the one pullet now, I gave two away to my friend, which was a mistake because she is lonely now. The first day after the other two were gone she raced outside in the morning when she got to free range and was squawking and running around. Of course she didn't find them, so then she decided to "play" with the cat and he tolerated it but got bored and walked off. She then wandered to the garden area and was attached my a vicious crow. This terrified her and she ran back into the coop. The next few days she stayed inside the coop, sitting on the straw in the nest box. She would come out to eat but go back in. Today is two weeks since the other two left, she spent a few mintues outside free ranging and then went back in. Do you think she is getting ready to lay and is broody? Or is she so lonely that she is depressed? Or is she still afraid of the big bad crow? I have a wooden egg in the nest, and she sometimes she sits on it and sometimes next to it. Any advice? I am trying to find her another pullet her age but haven't been successful. Would be "adopt" a baby if I brought her one?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Definitely keep trying to find another hen or pullet to keep her company. Also, i've had some chickens that laid their first eggs almost 2 months late. It depends on the chicken. I doubt she would adopt a baby, it is not too common for that to happen. She may also be more scared of that vicious crow with someone to cuddle with. I would look at your local craigslist ads if you haven't already. Thats how i find pullets and hens. :) Good luck! and i hope you get an egg soon!

3. glandongirl

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    Thanks for your advice. I will keep an eye on craigs list. So far I haven't found any close to home.

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    your welcome. We have to drive an hour or so usually, and sometimes they are willing to meet halfway. I had all my chickens except one eaten by a raccoon and had to find another hen to be with her. :) Good luck on finding one :)

5. glandongirl

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    I didn't know a raccoon will kill and eat a chicken!

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    oh yeah. And because they have that handy thumb, they can open coops unless you have a good latch ;) I've lost quite a few to raccoons. They are crafty.

7. glandongirl

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    Wow. I have only seen a coon into yard twice over all the years I lived here but I guess I will have check my latch. I think it is raccoon safe as it is hard for me to open sometimes!

8. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yeah :) It would stink for them to get your chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by