6 Month old Barred Rocks but no eggs at all. Any idea why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TristramShandy, Oct 29, 2009.

1. TristramShandy

TristramShandy New Egg

Oct 29, 2009
    Hi everyone--

I read some existing posts that helped me with some perspective on this, but as my dad's situation has some particular factors involved I thought I'd start a new thread.

So, my dad's BRocks came from a local chicken raiser who's biggest interest is showing. I think he breeds and selects his birds only for show, and just keeps eggs incidentally. My dad bought pullets, 8 of them, when they were about 12 weeks old.

He's got a great set up--lots of foraging in lettuce and kale; a comfortable shed, plenty of water; good pellet food, light and shade. Everything seems to be great, but he has not had one hen lay one egg. Meanwhile, we got 6 hens from Mt Healthy that are about the same age--ours might be two weeks younger--and we've had eggs since Labor Day weekend! Only 3 of ours are Barred Rocks, but I think those are the ones laying--I've heard Orps, which are our other 3, lay later.

Does anyone have any idea why my dad's birds aren't laying? Could it be due to their being from a line of hens selected for show qualities?

Thanks for any ideas/advice.

TS:(

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    mine started at 7 months.

3. TristramShandy

TristramShandy New Egg

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks SillyStunt--

So, you wouldn't be concerned and would expect them to start up in the next month or so? Just curious, were yours also bred by a raiser focused on show birds?

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    no i wouldn't. i was waiting forever and she just started!LOL i know there is a bone on the vent that if you look, open gonna lay....closed not ready. I have never done it though....lol kinda like a cervix in a way

5. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    My BR started laying at 28 pr 29 weeks last year. They take a long time but I think that's ok - let them mature slowly.

6. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I think what Sillystunt is talking about are the pelvic bones being wider apart when they are laying eggs than not laying eggs.
    I found it in a book and it worked for me with my 2 girls. Hold the hen standing up on your lap or a table and with your hand pointed downwards, lay your fingers on top of the vent area. Press inwards a bit until you can feel the outline of the bones inside. If it is the width of 2 fingers in between, they are not laying, but it is the width of 3 fingers in between the bones they are laying. Also, the vent should be large and moist if they are laying and dry and smaller if not.
    This helped me figure out who was started molting and who was still laying when I was only getting one egg a day all of a sudden after 2 a day for 2 months.
    [​IMG]

edited for spelling error...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by