1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 month old chicken poopy butt what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RainyDays, Oct 15, 2013.

1. RainyDays

RainyDays Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Nevada
    She seems fine other wise but has poop all packed up on her butt how do I cleaner and what is causing this?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Take scissors and trim the soiled feathers from around the vent, and wash her vent area with soap and water if need be. Look for any bare, reddened, or white patches with foul odor that might indicate vent gleet, a fungal infection. Mycostatin cream or sulfur cream (Nustock) could be applied. Probiotics in the water may help. If the cleaned vent is clear, just keep the feathers trimmed back once a month.

3. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    Rainy, my RIR hen had the same problem. I trimmed the poopy feathers around her vent. Her skin looked great, she was eating, but one thing I noticed after she was cleaned up, she had squirty poop. Diarrhea, but not watery, just really loose poo. It was not clearing her feathers when she would eliminate and it would get stuck. I decided to worm the girls because we had wild turkeys visiting our yard. I wormed them with SafeGuard 1 week ago. Three days later her poop was getting better, after a week, it was MUCH better. I wormed them for a second time yesterday. I never saw worms. She has a healthy weight and was eating/drinking normally. Worming did the trick, though. Now her butt stays clean and her poop is formed.

Just a thought. I hope your girl is better just with a little feather trim.

4. RainyDays

RainyDays Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Nevada
    Thank you! Just did the clean up and inspection. It was just hanging up on the tail feathers. Every thing looked good other wise. But it did make me think why is it not clearing now? So thank you for the input on the deworming. Ill need to look into that. And just keep watching.
    Thank you again

5. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I'm glad she looks good. Keep us up on how she's doing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by