6 month old chicks, no eggs yet!

YolandaT

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
I have four chickens, they are all 22-24 weeks, and no eggs yet!

I'm worried that because the days will be getting shorter I will not see any eggs until next summer!

The weather has been gorgeous, we had a pretty mild summer, they've been on layer food for a month now, they have a 8 x 10 coop with an attached 8 x 8 run and get nothing but fresh air - any ideas what is going on? I have a barred rock, an americauna, a rhode island red, and a golden laced wyandotte.

Any help on what they might need will be appreciated!

Time. That's what they need.

I have 5 chickens who are around 24-25 weeks old, and not an egg amongst them yet.

barred rocks and rhode island reds won't have a problem starting to lay in the middle of an ice storm lol. My two barred rocks laid through snow and everything, started laying in Jan. I am not too familiar with Wyandottes, but if the ameraucana is a hatchery chick or Easter Egger they can start around 28 weeks, not sure how they lay in winter I have one now who is 26 weeks old
smile.png
no eggs yet. I also have a 26 week old Barred Rock who is taking her sweet time to mature
smile.png

Quote:
You've got pretty hardy breeds. Except for the ameraucana, I'm guessing you'll have to wait until spring for her.. RIR and BR I bet will certainly give you eggs before the frost, and the glw I bet too... Though not positive on that one
wink.png

just wondering what kind of chicken do you have? have you found a lot of feathers around the coop?...if so the are molting and when they do that thay will not lay eggs, i have hens that i hatched in march and haven't started laying yet.
yes the days are getting sort, my i suguest putting a light in to the coop with a timer?? oh you might want to take them off of layer food untill they start laying.

good luck

I have RIR, BO, BR they were all over 25 weeks old before they started to lay. Most were around 29 weeks old.. My EE and Ameraucanas were 31-34 weeks old.. The EE started to lay on the two coldest days of our winter...One was 17* and the other 22*! I don't think, you will have to wait until spring time...

Thank you! Grrrrr...... patience surely is a virtue.
smile.png
And I will look into getting a light, I was wondering about that anyway. I live in Central Texas so the winters aren't bad, usually just a few nights below freezing. Thanks and good luck to you all!!!

Quote:
LUCKY!

I'm still waiting, and my oldest is about the same age. Any day now, I keep telling myself.

Back
Top Bottom