6 month old chicks, no eggs yet!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by YolandaT, Oct 6, 2010.

1. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I have four chickens, they are all 22-24 weeks, and no eggs yet!

I'm worried that because the days will be getting shorter I will not see any eggs until next summer!

The weather has been gorgeous, we had a pretty mild summer, they've been on layer food for a month now, they have a 8 x 10 coop with an attached 8 x 8 run and get nothing but fresh air - any ideas what is going on? I have a barred rock, an americauna, a rhode island red, and a golden laced wyandotte.

Any help on what they might need will be appreciated!

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Time. That's what they need.

I have 5 chickens who are around 24-25 weeks old, and not an egg amongst them yet.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    barred rocks and rhode island reds won't have a problem starting to lay in the middle of an ice storm lol. My two barred rocks laid through snow and everything, started laying in Jan. I am not too familiar with Wyandottes, but if the ameraucana is a hatchery chick or Easter Egger they can start around 28 weeks, not sure how they lay in winter I have one now who is 26 weeks old [​IMG] no eggs yet. I also have a 26 week old Barred Rock who is taking her sweet time to mature [​IMG]

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:You've got pretty hardy breeds. Except for the ameraucana, I'm guessing you'll have to wait until spring for her.. RIR and BR I bet will certainly give you eggs before the frost, and the glw I bet too... Though not positive on that one [​IMG]

5. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    just wondering what kind of chicken do you have? have you found a lot of feathers around the coop?...if so the are molting and when they do that thay will not lay eggs, i have hens that i hatched in march and haven't started laying yet.
    yes the days are getting sort, my i suguest putting a light in to the coop with a timer?? oh you might want to take them off of layer food untill they start laying.

good luck

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have RIR, BO, BR they were all over 25 weeks old before they started to lay. Most were around 29 weeks old.. My EE and Ameraucanas were 31-34 weeks old.. The EE started to lay on the two coldest days of our winter...One was 17* and the other 22*! I don't think, you will have to wait until spring time...

7. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thank you! Grrrrr...... patience surely is a virtue. [​IMG] And I will look into getting a light, I was wondering about that anyway. I live in Central Texas so the winters aren't bad, usually just a few nights below freezing. Thanks and good luck to you all!!!

8. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    LOL look what was in the middle of my chicken run this afternoon!! Finally! YAY!!!!

[​IMG]

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Quote:LUCKY!

I'm still waiting, and my oldest is about the same age. Any day now, I keep telling myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by