6 month old gone broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sweetlilbaby, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Is it possible to trust a 6 month old that has gone broody to hatch chicks? Or is she more likely to get up in a few days? Today is her 3rd day on the nest. I brought her whole nest inside and put it in a dog crate (chicken and all) because the others were picking on her.
    She is brooding 3 golf balls. I was considering trading the golfballs for 3 eggs instead and letting her hatch out some babies.
    Should i trust her or no?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My latest broody is a March chick, she laid for a month and went broody. She sat for five days and nights before I gave her four eggs to hatch. I moved her from the nest boxes to a cat crate under them after three days. Then let her set for two more to see if she would stay in the new location. I only gave her four eggs because she was a new broody and wanted to see how she handled it. The only way to know if you can trust them is to test them. Mine set through the whole incubation and did well with her three chicks. They are currently being weaned.

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    i guess i'll test her with 3 eggs. I'll switch the golfballs for eggs at some point if she does good in the dog crate. it's a great dane sized dog crate so she's got plenty of room if she does decide she's not broody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by