6 month old hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lincolnsilkies, Oct 25, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Hello i have a bantam hen she is 6months old she hasnt been her self the last couple days her tummy seems to be swollen and very warm they were all wormed with valbazem a few days ago she seems to walk a little bull legged her feathers are drooping also and when i rub her tummy as i said which is very warm she has a yellowish draineged coming out the shoot any help would be great thank you!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely she is/was eggbound. Try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside for about 20 minutes. Hopefully this well help her lay the egg if she hasnt already done so. If she laid a shelless egg with only yolk and whites being expelled, it's possible there still might be liquidy whites/yolk inside her vent and could possible cause a bacterial infection if not flushed out. You can make a flush by mixing 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to a quart of water. Use a large syringe without a needle and draw a syringefull of the mixture, insert it in her vent and flush it. Repeat flushing a few more times, you may or may not see the liquidy white/yolk expelled out of her, but it will hopefully prevent infection.

3. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thank you so much will try that right now!

4. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Well i tried the soaking and rubbing no luck yet she has never hatched a egg yet but since i'm not sure should if she passed anything should i go ahead and flush her anyways or should i try soaking her again/ Thanks!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:In your first post you stated that you saw yellowish drainage coming from her "shoot" (vent,) which would mean that the egg was mostly likely without a shell or an egg broke inside her. That is why I recommended the vinegar flush, to help prevent infection. If she is currently acting normal, do the vinegar flush in her vent (shoot) and release her afterwards. The key here is to prevent internal infection and hopefully the vinegar flush will prevent that from happening....much like a douche. In the future if you see a hen kinda lethargic, walking like a penguin...that's a good indication she's probably eggbound, THEN you need to soak her in warm water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by