6 month old hens not laying yet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by attachedmama, Oct 20, 2008.

1. attachedmama

attachedmama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    OK, so the 2 hens I have after finding out the rest are roos have yet to lay an egg. What am I doing wrong? They are on a laying feed, have calcium, scraps, nesting boxes, etc. I've even asked them nicely to lay some :)What else should I be doing? I was told they were 6 months old (5 months when I bought them) Do I have to wait all the way till spring for the first egg? Is there a way to tell proper age if the woman was wrong....she DID tell me I was buying 4 pullets after all and 2 are roos!

Thanks in advance!

~Jennifer

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Nothing... not every chicken lays at exactly 6 months... they will lay when they are ready.... and that may not be until they are 8 months.... so settle in and keep doing what you are doing.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Like other animals, when they hit purburty can vary. The shortening day hours can slow them down a bit, but they should start to lay anywhere between 5-8 months normal. It can also vary with breed.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    First...... [​IMG]

Is it cold where you are ??? All hens are different some take longer than others !!!! Give them time !!!! Do you have any pics of them ???

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    I've even asked them nicely to lay some [​IMG]

Hey, I never thought of that [​IMG] Ours is about seven months and still has not laid :mad:

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    It will be such a rush of happiness when you find your first egg. It will come with time. It seemed like it took forEver for our first egg, and today we were rewarded with the most beautiful precious egg ever.(admittedly I am a little biased). But they Will lay when they are ready. I begged mine too, but still had to wait a while. [​IMG]

7. attachedmama

attachedmama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    You guys are great encouragement! THanks for the replies! I will say, I am a little put off by our hens turning out to be roos, so I am thinking maybe they are younger tahn she said? Is there a way to tell the age? Here are the pics...

www.photobucket.com/stairsfamilychickenflock

Oh and ignore the titles on the pics...I now know that Karen and violet are roos!

We ordered 8 pullets from a hatchery and they'll arrive in early Nov. Hoping to have better luck with these!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by