1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 month old pair laying eggs in nest, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by annette'spets, Nov 2, 2014.

1. annette'spets

annette'spets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    vero beach, Fl.
    They are not sitting on them, one every day. I'm new to this so any information would be appreciated. Only have these two birds, raised together from babies and very bonded. Stay in a stall at night so no harm comes to them, free range in the day with the chickens.

2. Ducknotchicken

Ducknotchicken New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    Oklahoma
    My ducks just lay and lay like 40eggs...we had to incubate them ourselves and because it's to late In the season for the mommy to successfully lay anyway we will have to revisit this issue when spring comes.
    I've seen many suggestions such as taking the egg every day and after she starts hiding them let her lay a clutch. Ducks won't sit on the eggs until they've laid the entire clutch in order for the babies to hatch all asy or very near to the same time.
    When a mommy duck sits on her eggs it's called "going Broody" many ducks don't catch on their first season and some never do. So...I'll let you know in spring if my mommy duck figures out or not...
    Do let me know if yours figures it out!

3. Ducknotchicken

Ducknotchicken New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]Fertile duck egg candled at 7days incubation at 100degrees 50% humidity.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by