6 month old pullet egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ardeepapa, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ardeepapa

ardeepapa Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    I have a question about egg laying. I have raised my hen since she was a month old and now she has started to lay. I know that the first few lays will contain small eggs. My question is that I was wondering how long til it will start laying normal sized eggs. Also, is there a sign on eggs that shows it is fertile and will be able to hatch by the hen? Thanks!

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    [​IMG]

There is a thread up at the top of this section that details how to tell what a fertile egg looks like.

I found that some of my pullets eggs got gradually bigger and bigger .. some didn't seem "full size" until after their first molt.

Congratulations on the eggs!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  4. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    Thank you so much guys! Appreciate it. Can't wait til she starts to lay larger eggs!

5. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    Another question, do you need a rooster to have fertile eggs? Or can a hen produce fertile eggs on her own?

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:You need a rooster for fertile eggs. No rooster, no fertile eggs.

7. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    Yeah that's what I thought. Sorry i'm kinda new on taking care of chickens. Thanks!

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:No problem! We all had to learn sometime. [​IMG] This question is asked more frequently than you think.

Just think of it like people: a woman can't have a baby on her own, needs an UMMMM "donation" from a man first. Same with the chickens only their eggs develop on the outside of their body.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  9. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    Yeah haha. My only problem is that I can't have roosters. So my best bet to hatching my own chicks is to order fertile eggs and either incubating it or letting my hen hatch it. That's to bad [​IMG]

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Keep in mind that only a broody hen will sit on eggs and hatch them for you, and broodiness has bee bred out of some breeds. If you have a hen go broody, that would be the time to order the hatching eggs - otherwise the only way you'll be able to hatch is with an incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by