6 month old pullet getting ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Duck_life, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    This morning I went outside to let the chickens outside, 3 stayed in because it was snowy and the other 13 went out. When I went up to check on them, one of my RIR mixed with bantam starting doing the egg song along with squatting, just not in the nest box. Her comb isn't very red but it is darkening. My question is.. can a chicken this small already be preparing to lay?! Sorry for blurry pictures, the muscovies were behind her and she wanted to go eat. Her comb is redder than her wattles but she didn't want to hold still so they don't look very red. Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 10.41.28 AM.png Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 10.41.18 AM.png

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    6 months old? Yeah, very possible. I've had 4 month old pullets start to lay. Four months is pretty rare but 5 months old is pretty common for a first egg.

I've had pullets lay their first eggs the first week of December, just about the shortest days of the year. Some that aren't laying by then wait until the days start getting longer.

People will tell you that you have to have a certain number of hours of daylight, the days have to be getting longer, they have to be a certain age, or that certain breeds will start at a certain age. None of that is a requirement. Each is an individual and will start to lay when they start.

Duck_life likes this.
  3. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Thank you, I just felt doubtful since all my chickens are so small. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: