6 month old pullet has heavy breathing

Well this morning I had a few more sick. It’s obviously spreading. So far I have removed 6 hens and culled one sick one. So sad. :(

I’m waiting on Tylan. Anyone know why they discontinued this antibiotic?

I don’t have an answer, but you could call the manufacturer. The FDA has been cracking down on the sale of antibiotics for several years, so that may be the reason.

Why not try to get some testing to know exactly what you are treating? Contact your state vet and ask how to get a couple of birds tested. It may cost only a few dollars. Each state is different. There is a commercial lab called Zoologix that does a respiratory panel for $95, but that seems pretty costly. One BYC member just used them, and his test came back positive for MG. They send 3 swabs for you to collect and send back to them.

Last edited:
The other thing I would do is look your birds over very carefully after dark tonight - look for any kind of external parasite, lice, mites, etc. If present, they could be adding to your woes--- and would definitely follow Eggcessive's advice on testing so you know what you're battling.

Here is the contact info for Elanco, the Tylan manufacturer if you want to contact them:
https://www.elanco.us/contact

Thanks for the info! That’s a good idea on the tests. I did find some Tylan at 1800petmeds you have to get it approved by a vet, which I did and that seemed like the best cost effective way for me to hopefully get rid of whatever these ladies have. They’re still alive and squirming to get out of my arms, so maybe that’s a good sign! Hope to get my meds by tomorrow.

You can get it from Jedds in a couple of days. They sell out often, but they restock. Right now they say it is instock. 100 grams goes pretty far and will keep on the shelf. Dosage is 1 tsp (5 grams) for each gallon. Only add water to the powder, not the other way or it does not mix easily.

Well sadly the hen I originally posted this thread about passed tonight. So sad. She was breathing so heavily. The breeder I got this hen from gave me 4 other chicks. So I had gotten a total of 5 from him and I only have 1 survivor, they’d all be around 6 months of age. I think something was off with these poor chickies. Haven’t received the meds yet but my other 5 hens are showing signs of improvement.

Back
Top Bottom