6 Month old Silkie Roo - Possibly Poisoned?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Abronsyth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Abronsyth

Abronsyth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Upstate NY
    This morning I let the birds out and didn't wait to see if everyone came out. Well, I went to collect eggs and noticed our 6 month old silkie rooster (our only silkie, one of three roosters) laying on his side, still in the coop. I gently picked him up and he didn't really respond much. So I set him down outside, thinking maybe he just was stuck. Instead of getting up and walking, he rolled to his side, keeping one foot tucked up against his body. When I picked him up again he clucked at me and opened his eyes. We brought him inside to isolate him. One leg simply doesn't work. He can move the other and use it, but his left leg just won't work. We felt it and it doesn't seem to be broken or anything. He just kept laying on his side. He's plenty alert, and content to lay in our laps.

He started croaking sort of, so my mom took him outside and held him at an angle. A bunch of thick, slimy fluid fell out. His crop is not swollen at all, and the fluid doesn't stink at all, it's just clear fluid. We have him on ACV now, and after he expelled the fluid he stopped croaking.

I'm going to give him a bath later today in hopes that it might perk him up a bit.

So what advice do you guys have? We're afraid he may have eaten something he shouldn't have, or do you think it's something else?

Thanks,
    Milo/Abronsyth and Family

2. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    was he vaccinated for Marek's disease? That can cause unilateral swelling/lethargy, but I'm not sure about the fluid in the lungs.

3. Abronsyth

Abronsyth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Upstate NY
    No, none of our birds have been vaccinated for, well, anything. He's drinking just fine when he can reach the water, but he hasn't shown interest in food, which is very unlike him.

What do you suggest we do?

EDIT:

Tater just suddenly flapped his wings, shook his head, and expelled a ton of clear fluid that certainly smells like vomit on his own. He got it on himself so I gave him a bath (he was also over heating for some reason) so it cooled him down a bit and he's stopped panting and now is just resting.

I'm really thinking that he's been poisoned somehow.I checked his vomit for worms/etc but it looked clear...just smells like puke, honestly. Hopefully now that's he's gotten rid of a bunch of stuff he can start to recover.

EDIT Again:

While on our way to the neart Avian vet Tater passed while laying in my lap. Awful experience for me, but he went fairly peacefully.

We're going to keep a close eye on our other birds in hopes that it was just him that got into whatever made him so sick. It's been a rough summer for losing animals.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  4. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    I'm so sorry! It's hard to lose a pet, poor little guy. I hope it isn't anything your other chickens can catch, good luck.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. He might have had botulism from eating something tainted outside. Here is a link:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by