6 month pullet - dirty fluffy butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Oct 12, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    We just bought a 6 month SLW pullet last week. The first day she had a bit of diarrhea (maybe from stress?). That has gone away. She is in quarantine for a few more weeks during which time I will also be worming her - just in case. Her fluffy butt is a bit messy - not at all blocking the vent. Should I just leave it alone or should I try to clean her? If clean her - how???? I tried a baby wipe - didn't work.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It may have been from the stress. She may also be wormy so it's good that you will be deworming her. The easiest way to clean up her behind may be to just get some scissors and snip off the matted feathers. This will also help prevent it from happening again. I have a couple hens with particularly fluffy butts that occasionally need a little trim when some poop gets stuck on their feathers.

1 person likes this.
  3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Soak it with a warm wet washcloth or paper towel. Make sure she doesn't get chilled afterwards. A little mineral oil or vaseline on the feathers/fluff works to keep it from sticking also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by