6 Month Roo with 12 Week Pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kasey, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Kasey

Kasey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    I have my original flock of birds which consists of 1 SLW Roo and 7 Hens. They are all around 6 mos old.

I am fortunate enough to have a large coop that is split in half that I keep 7 more young pullets that rang from 12-14 weeks old.

I have one large run that I can allow access to from either side of the coop. So in the evenings when it's hot I let the the older guy and gals out to free range and let the young girls in the run since they stay in the coop all day. And I go out mid day and spray down the coop to keep it as cool as possible. We've been in the triple digits the past couple weeks here.

I hadn't planned to mix the two groups until the youngest of the young girls was 18 weeks. However, I'm about to go back to work (I teach) and thought if I could mix them sooner it would help keep everyone cooler if they could all go in the run together during the day.

My question is, will this be too soon for them to be with the rooster? Will he try to mount them before they are big enough? He's pretty hefty so I'd be concerned they'd get hurt if he tried.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they were mine, I would give it a try given the circumstances. I'd be more concerned about the older hens beating up on the pullets although I am not discounting the possibility of an over zealous rooster. Worst case scenario: It won't work and you will have to try the integration later. Good luck.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    You should allow all of your chickens to freerange together so they can get used to each other. The older chickens will chase away the younger chickens at first, but they will get used to each other. After doing this for at least several days, you can put them all in the same coop.

Just keep an eye on them to make sure they are not hurting the pullets.

4. Kasey

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    I have had a hen or two accidentally get in the run with them in the past and they had no reaction to them at all. They have all been side by side for about 1 1-2 months now. The only reaction that I ever seen about any of them to each other is my Roo occasionally running at one that's close to the fence.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I raise my chicks in my flock, so the pullets are there from baby chicks. I've not had a rooster aggressively try to mate an immature pullet. Young cockerels may try, but neither party really knows what's happening, and the older rooster usually knocks the young gun off the pullet, then goes and mates a mature hen. In my experience the pullets aren't fair game until the comb reddens up, then the rooster thinks they look pretty good.

If I did have a rooster aggressively try to mate immature pullets, I'd cull him.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kasey

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    True, well I think I'm gonna give it a try. Any other advice is appreciated!

7. Kasey

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    All seems to be going well so far. My hens seem to careless about the new girls, although the new girls are keeping to themselves. My big runs at them though and occasionally try's to grab one half heartedly.

Is this normal? Is he just trying to show them who is boss?

8. Kasey

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    All is still well. The two groups are still sticking to themselves. No bloodshed and only a few feathers pulled.
    JalapeƱo is still pushing the young girls away from the older girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by