6 month Silkie with broken egg in vent

EverythingDucks

πŸ™„πŸ€š π™»πš’πšπšπš•πšŽ π™³πšžπšŒπš”
Premium Feather Member
May 7, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
She has just begun laying in the last week or so. She has acess to layer feed (Purina) and oyster shell
20221001_181028.jpg

She will probably need an antibiotic, so look for one. If it's a leftover people prescription tell us what it is and the strength and we can help figure the dosage.

She also needs a calcium tablet immediately. What do you have on hand? If you take calcium daily, use one of those. Or a Tums. Break it in half and shove one piece after the other directly into her beak. It will help with contractions to expel the rest of the egg.

Try lubricating her vent with warm water with a few drop of Dawn detergent in it. This combo makes things wetter so her tissues remain elastic. Do not squirt it up the cloaca, though. Just around the exterior.

This will have further information that can help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

She will probably need an antibiotic, so look for one. If it's a leftover people prescription tell us what it is and the strength and we can help figure the dosage.

She also needs a calcium tablet immediately. What do you have on hand? If you take calcium daily, use one of those. Or a Tums. Break it in half and shove one piece after the other directly into her beak. It will help with contractions to expel the rest of the egg.

Try lubricating her vent with warm water with a few drop of Dawn detergent in it. This combo makes things wetter so her tissues remain elastic. Do not squirt it up the cloaca, though. Just around the exterior.

This will have further information that can help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
She's has a warm bath and the egg and all the shell has been removed. Using some lubricant, everything has been massaged back in. I'm just not sure how to keep it in now.

I'll look for a calcium tablet.

The prolapse will remain inside if all the egg material has been expelled. If the prolapse is still coming out, it's an indication the egg material hasn't been completely expelled. Once it is all expelled, the prolapse will retract on its own and remain. Your hen will feel and act more like her normal self. That's how you'll know her crisis has passed.

I put her in a dark dog kennel with towels last night. She ate the tums I gave her and shes been drinking water. I havent offered any food.

This morning she had another egg that she wasnt able to lay normally, though it's not all cracked like the other. She's back in the bath now.

Back
Top Bottom