6 monthish buff sussex bald bum??

Lady Cluckingham

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2018
as stated in my other posts we bought some POL chickens from a bit of a buckyard breeder., we have had them for about three weeks. The youngest died last night. I was wondering if it was normal for a buff sussex to be bald around the bum with some not very nice looking feathers. I was planning on getting some baby wipes just to clean her up but wanted to know if this waas the right thing to do. If anyone has had the same problem, has there been a more sinister underlying issue? The bird is (so far) healthy happy, eating/drinking and beggining to lay. Another thing i wanted to ask is if it was normal for her to have i guess a droopy stomache (?) between her legs sort of area?

The light sussex seems to be the healthiest, whilst the black wyndotte has a muchy backside as well. Is it okay to just clean them up with some baby wipes as they are unable tp do so them selves (or so it appears)?

Thank you for your help, it is alwyas apreciated.

Another thing i wanted to ask is if it was normal for her to have i guess a droopy stomache (?) between her legs sort of area?

It would not be normal to have a droopy abdomen between the legs, especially for 6month old pullets.
What type of food/treats do you feed?
Do these girls lay eggs?

Swelling in the abdomen can be from reproductive problems or excess fat in the abdomen. I would make sure they were eating their normal feed for the most part and cut back on any treats.

Getting a fecal float to check for worms is always a good idea. The baldness around the vent is hard to see, but it looks like a few feathers may be missing from pecking.
By all means you can give them a clean up if they are messy. Sometimes with swelling/full abdomens, then poop is not able to clear and gets stuck in the feathers. Baby wipes may help, but sometimes really stuck poop, they need a soaking and good cleaning up.

Pictures would help. Bald droopy bottoms aren't normal. Sounds like you may have some feather picking going on. Droopy bottom could be internal laying. Pictures will definitely help.
I will try and grab some photos. Typing from computer so may be a bit longer, but will definetly get some

Those are the best ones I could get if the silly girls. Tried to catch the one with droopy stomache and ran into a metal perch!

Attachments

• 3C9EB13D-B81E-4A3B-8A4E-EB8D2F8F41B8.jpeg
    3C9EB13D-B81E-4A3B-8A4E-EB8D2F8F41B8.jpeg
    709.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 31F4399B-6F43-400E-9653-238747140148.jpeg
    31F4399B-6F43-400E-9653-238747140148.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 18
It would not be normal to have a droopy abdomen between the legs, especially for 6month old pullets.
What type of food/treats do you feed?
Do these girls lay eggs?

Swelling in the abdomen can be from reproductive problems or excess fat in the abdomen. I would make sure they were eating their normal feed for the most part and cut back on any treats.

Getting a fecal float to check for worms is always a good idea. The baldness around the vent is hard to see, but it looks like a few feathers may be missing from pecking.
By all means you can give them a clean up if they are messy. Sometimes with swelling/full abdomens, then poop is not able to clear and gets stuck in the feathers. Baby wipes may help, but sometimes really stuck poop, they need a soaking and good cleaning up.
They are on normal sort of mixed grain. Hardly have any treats other than what they dig up. She has had the stomach since we bought her, all three hens are laying with somewhat consistence (The black hen someitmes lays two eggs but not very often) as the are still young.

Back
Top Bottom