6 months and still no eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pomaranj, Oct 1, 2012.

1. pomaranj

pomaranj New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    I had bought 8 chicks from the local farm store in Michigan during the month of April. i gave 3 to a friend and kept 5 (2 barred rocks, 2 orpingtons, and 1 rhode island red). My friends' chickens have been laying for some time now and i haven't gotten anything yet!
    I have a nice coop with artificial light (15 hrs of daylight), three nesting boxes with golf balls, and a 4-0 high 12x12 run. i feed them layer pellets and they have plenty of water...but no eggs...am i doomed with no egg producing hens?

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I have the same issue!! I was reading and think I will try adding a curtain for more privacy at the nesting boxes also adding more protein (meal worms) and oyster shell.... if you find anything that worked let me know!!

3. pomaranj

pomaranj New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    i think i might add a sign inside the nesting box that reads "EGGS HERE"...maybe that will get them to start?

i have noticed that they go inside the nesting boxes b/c when i get home from work and check, the pine shavings are all moved around and it shaped it like a bowl...

i think i am going to add vital vitamins to their water as well as try oyster shells...

4. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I bet they are right on the verge of laying. Remember all birds mature at different times, so just hang in there, it will happen.

Btw, sounds like you're doing everything right!!!

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Could you possibly have egg eaters?

6. pomaranj

pomaranj New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    not sure...i was thinking about that, i don't see any evidence...would there be any?

7. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    Sounds like they will lay soon. I hatched 4 BCM early May, and one of them just started laying... You can tell the more mature ones, as the one that just started has a red comb and its quite a bit more developed then the rest.
    They do mature at different rates... I am sure they will start soon, be patient... (I know its hard) [​IMG]

8. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I got some in April, and they haven't started laying either, but are showing signs that they will soon.

9. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Only 1 out the 10 i got in late april just started laying. She is a barred rock, and her comb and wattles got a lot bigger and redder during the two weeks before she started laying. I think the welsummer is due in the next two weeks, and the rest... they are taking their time! Not a bad idea to supplement calcium. Are you giving them layer feed?

10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Don't start on layer feed until you are sure they are ALL laying. It is not good for non layers. Just give oyster shell. Six months is not late yet. Give them time. Every lady matures at her own pace. I have a 9 month old silkie who still isn't laying. My birds have tended to average between 5 and 8 months. They will lay soon.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by