6 months in

seanw

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 15, 2010
Well it took me last fall and winter to plan my coop, and last spring to build, and all summer and fall and still adding. I got 6 hens from a local hen lady my dog chased all six away and only 4 returned. The dog is now trained and does not bother with them now. I got most of my ideas from this site and I used mostly reclaimed materials for a total investment of under $500.00 spread over a few months. I use sand in the run and hay in the coop, no complaints yet. I have 2 Columbia rock, 1 RIR and a black sex link which is the result of rhode island red rooster and a barred rock hen. I get 3 eggs most days and 4 some.
I was given 3 Muscovy ducks early this fall and after they arrived I think there was less hostility in Libya than was in my back yard. they were trying to kill my hens, so after the first week I had to kill them, something I didn't want to do, but had to be done. A lesson learned. Right now I'm looking for a rooster to maintain my little flock and one that would make a good mixed breed for me. Any suggestion for a rooster breed or any other comment is welcome.
Hope you enjoy my pics, and btw all work was done with no help from anyone,

71988_hpim0570.jpg

A look from my house to the chickens house, Total foot print 12'x16' aprox

71988_hpim0581.jpg

coop is 4'x8' raised off the ground with external nest boxes

71988_hpim0582.jpg

Nest box lined with hay

71988_hpim0583.jpg

Roost, salvaged, right stringer is on a hinge so that when the roosts are removed the stringer just swings up out of the way for easy cleaning.

71988_hpim0584.jpg

right side behind the Columbia rock you can see the hinge

71988_hpim0576.jpg

Home made water, feeder, and cookie can water heater

71988_hpim0577.jpg

Pop door and salvaged patio door on its side for wind protection.

71988_hpim0578.jpg

Nest box to the right of pop door looking in.

71988_hpim0575.jpg

out side looking in, southeast looking north west

71988_hpim0574.jpg

My dog, Chloe, German Sheppard Golden Retriever mix eating with the hens.

Fantastic pics! What a great job you did! Wish I had that talent....

I have a Coronation Sussex rooster that is a gentle giant.....They're a very nice, calm breed.....HUGE really, snow white feathers with lavender hackle feathers and tail feathers.....I'll have to take a current pic of my boy and show you.....

I also like the Buckeye breed. Beautiful dark mahogany feathers that just shine.......Again.....I'll have to find a pic for you.....

Sharon

Very nice. How does the waterer work? That looks like an awesome idea and I'd love to hear more. I've got the cookie tin water heaters but only have 1 gal waterers. I'd love to have one the size of yours.

Good Day, here is where I got the waterer idea, I did not make as big of a hole in the inner pvc as shown, I used a 5/16 dill bit so that the top of the drilled hole is about 1/2" below the bottom of the large holes for the chickens to use. This is so you don't have to be as particular to the level of the waterer. http://toolmakingart.com/2008/06/10/chicken-feeders/
Sean

Back
Top Bottom