6 Months NO EGGs. VERY CONCERNED

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snowhorse, Dec 19, 2009.

1. snowhorse

snowhorse Pantry Brook Farm

Jun 13, 2009
    MA
    i have 15 chickens. 2 Roos. They were born end of May Early June. And no a one has layed an egg. Any ideas on what would do this? Its winter here. Days are shorter but I thought I would have atleast one. I have Buff Orps. Jersey Giants Ees. Polish

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

you might get christmas eggs!! :)

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't worry too much. They will probably start laying in the spring when it is warmer. I have a couple of Barred Rocks that were born in January and they just started laying this month (december). Same with an orpington ad giant cochin I have - just started laying from Septemer thru this month december. Thing is, once these heavier breeds start laying, they are really good reliable layers for a long time.

4. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    Snowhorse: I too live in MA...towards the Cape. I have 6 RIR and they just started to lay last wk at 25 wks. Only...perhaps ...2 of them are doing their job ! But that's ok. I have a bunch of 15 wk olds but don't expect them to lay until March, due to the winter. It's so darn cold here I don't think I'd lay an egg either. I can't wait to see what will happen when they see that "up to 25 INCHES" of snow we are supposed to start getting later on.
    Just have a little more patience and you too will be rewarded ! :))
    Liz
    Rochester, MA

5. snowhorse

Jun 13, 2009
    MA
    So shortly after I posted this, I had eggs....I guess all I had to do was complain hahaha![​IMG]

6. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    Snowhorse.....CONGRATS on the eggs !!!! Now I have 3 of my 6 RIR laying and a 17 wk old little Frizzled Cochin Banty . Didn't expect the Banty until March or so.

Liz
    Rochester, MA

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

I was going to be a smarty pants and tell you not to expect eggs from the roos. [​IMG]

8. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    About time huh...Congrats on the eggs. [​IMG]

9. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    If you want eggs all year buy chickens bred for egg production and give 14 hours of light. The best are red sexlinks. I prefer ISA Browns myself.

10. snowhorse

Jun 13, 2009
    MA
    I actually just put an order in for Rhode Island Reds. But I think at this point I may have 3 or 4 different hens laying! I need a timer to get more light, but we are over the shorest day of the year and it should get lighter and lighter which will be good [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by