1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 months old still no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jonbanks, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    whats the deal ? i have 5 rirs and 3 e.e. the rirs are 6 months old and still wont lay me an egg. im thinking bout eating them. what should i do

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Are their combs turning red yet? Once they turn bright red, they should start laying in a couple weeks or so. Maybe they think it is too cold, how cold is it where you are? Don't eat them yet!!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    And I have two eight month olds not laying, so....
    It can be a combination of too few daylight hours and the hens not being mature enough yet to lay.
    All you can do is make sure they are eating a good feed and wait them out. They'll surprise you one of these days.

4. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    ok well i wont eat them n there combs are moderatly red not bright red . i really dont care but my wife really doesnt like the idea of chickens around. lol so i gotta get these hens to perform. lol

5. chickenporkarosa

chickenporkarosa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    lupton, michigan
    Yikes, don't eat em yet! I have 12 RIR and they were 2 wks. old when I got em in May. They started laying around the end of October and I get between 9-12 every day. You'll know when they do...it seems they sqwak like they're saying, "What the heck is this!" So hang in there. To bad your wife does'nt like them, RIR are real personable birds. Mine will squat down and let me pick them up and pet them. They like attention and taking to them.

6. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    I have been waiting since Memeorial Day weelkend since my girl was born and I was about to give up until spring... I got my first egg today. Ticks me off that the neighbor's kid found it because I was at work, I can't wait until tommorrow. I am going to pretend I found the first one LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by