6 more banty babies, with pics - any guesses?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amamaofmany, Apr 24, 2009.

1. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Well, I joined the "I went to TSC for ___ and came out with 6 chicks" club![​IMG]

We were planning to get some silkies eventually anyway. We did find one, and hope it is a hen since we can't keep roos here.

Anyway, we picked these little wee things:

[​IMG]

The Silkie - evil red eye on that chick! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 This chick has the same coloring as #5 but the light is bad
    [​IMG]

#4 No fuzz on this one's legs and very light red 'chipmunk' stripe
    [​IMG]

#5 - looks like a penguin chick!
    [​IMG]

# 6 - this one is TINY Its like a black white & grey ping-pong ball with legs. No feathers on the legs. VERY LOUD little complainer!
    [​IMG]

If you have any guess on the chicks, I'd appreciate the guess.
    The feathered legs are so pretty! But I do understand that they are probably too small to really know for sure.

Edited because I had a comment for a chick on the wrong number. And added that I have pictures.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    They are so cute and tiny. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Really cute variety you have there.

What I find amazing is these Feed Stores selling chicks that they have no idea what they are.

I picked up four banties on Wed and the young gals didn't know the silkies from the cochin. They thought they were all sold out of the silkies but I found two in the bunch.

4. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Its fun to guess, though!

And in March I received an order from Ideal and got two birds I couldn't identify until feathers began to sprout. I still don't know what one of them is. And my order was for specific breeds.

Of course, if you figure the sales staff usually only has to deal with chicks for one month out of a year in addition to all their other things, they aren't likely to spend much time memorizing traits of chicks!

Would be nice if the hatchery had sent some sort of "Chick Identification" poster or something with the bins, though!

5. roosterjerry

roosterjerry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Rineyville,KY
    Looks like you picked some good ones but mine are cuter lol...
    1 week [​IMG]
    2 weeks [​IMG]

6. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    All right, I am an UTTER newbie (first chicks ever just turned two weeks!) But #5 and #3 look exactly like my Brahmas did when I got them. Mine are all varying shades of gray to black on their bodies, and fluffy fluffy legs. They are total sweeties too. I hope yours is a Brahma! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  7. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    roosterjerry:

Yours are adorable! But my little wee teeny tiny pingpong ball with legs is just oozing with cuteness. Its like trying to eat shoo fly pie with honey on it. Its too sweet! Well, until it opens its beak and begins loudly complaining about its accomodations!

Silverlining:

Ooooo! I'd love a pair of Brahmas [​IMG]! I ran over to the Ideal website last night and tried looking over their Bantam selection (as my TSC said they get their chicks from Ideal) to compair their artist drawings of chicks with the living ones in my kitchen and I lingered on the Brahmas and the Sebrights! Such lovely birds!

I think guessing what they are is half the fun of getting them! I never dreamed that chickens were such interesting creatures.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Not sure, but 3 and 5 look like light Brahmas.

9. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Not sure, but 3 and 5 look like light Brahmas.

[​IMG]

10. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    The ping-pong ball is so tiny, and has such short little stumpy legs we wondered if it could be a Japanese banty?

The coloring is right, from the artist drawings of the black ones over at the Ideal - and they only get 24 oz at the biggest, and this thing is so little - do you think it could be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by