6 or 7 week old hen needs to go into the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennie5193, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I have terrible luck with straight run chickens (I haven't bought any from commercial hatcheries, just individual breeders) and out of the 26 chickens I've bought, only 6 of them have been female. This last batch was 6 Lt. Brahma chicks and one turned out to be a pullet. I was able to find a home for the cockerels yesterday, but that leaves me with only the one pullet. I have been keeping all of them in a tractor during the day and a brooder at night. I have two bantams that I keep in a tractor during the day and the big coop at night.

I thought since she was the size of the bantams (maybe a little bigger) that I could just put her in the tractor with them. They are about 11 weeks old and she is around 7 weeks. They pick (peck) on her relentlessly. I've been keeping the tractors next to each other so she (Maggie) won't feel so lonely, but she runs to the other side of the tractor and hollers for me to come get her. She is perched on my arm as I'm typing right now.

I wasn't planning on a house chicken, but what should I do? I put her in the coop with the large breed chickens thinking they wouldn't pay any attention to her since she is smaller than they are, but it was like a free for all until I got her out.

I would love to hear any suggestions.

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Well I had one that I recently added, she was flighty, and hiding for about a week, week and a half. Now she is part of the flock. I haven't seen any picking, any more than normal pecking order stuff.

Good luck!

3. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Thank you. I'm going to have to figure out what to do pretty soon. I think she is getting *way* too comfortable inside.

She will follow me around chirping until I sit down then she'll roost on my shoulder and preen my hair. It is cute... until she poops on me. LOL Now I've got slobbery hair.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This is from the Learning Center at the top of this site.

3. What is the best way to introduce new chickens to an already established flock?
    Separate newcomers and established birds with a barrier (i.e., wire), so they can see each other but not directly interact for a period of 1-4 weeks. This will help keep fighting to a minimum. Always introduce them while SUPERVISED, so you can control any fighting.

Back to my comments. There will be pecking order issues, but letting them get to know each other as mentioned in the Learning Center, introducing them at night, giving them room to get away if necessary, and having two or more feeding and watering stations may help reduce the fighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by