6 out of 8 are roosters! How to choose which one to keep??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunshyn225, Jun 23, 2011.

1. sunshyn225

sunshyn225 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Just as the subject says - I bought 8 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks that were straight run from a local man and it's just my luck that 6 out of the 8 are ROOS! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I plan on keeping my two hens of course, but need to get rid of 5 of the roosters. How do I go about picking which one to keep out of the 6? Is there anything in specific that I should look for??

2. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    With recently researching to get into breeding heritage chickens I would say find out what the breed standard is and keep the ones that possess those qualities.

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Post pics of them all and put it down to a BYC vote! [​IMG]

4. sunshyn225

sunshyn225 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Thanks you two! Will definitely have to take pictures and post them. They are all so handsome. [​IMG]

5. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I don't care a thing about "breed standards", I don't mean to offend anyone but that stuff is for snobs in my opinion. I always choose the one with the best personality. Any of them seem the slightest bit aggressive yet? Those are always the first ones to land on my grill.

-S

6. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    I usually choose my Roosters by personality and by looks to be honest. I just pick my favorite

7. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:I parcially agree... I guess it just depends on why you wanted your chickens in the first place... I would go for a mixture between looks and personality.[​IMG]

8. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    I think, if the flock is for "fun" keep the boys that are friendly and pretty. If you are breeding you should keep the one closest to breed standards, for the sake of future generations.

9. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:x2, but I'd like to add that if you do plan on breeding, I'd keep a more docile rooster over one that meets all the breed standards but is aggressive because aggression is a trait that can be passed on to the offspring. Having said that, if you're not planning on breeding for show or for any type of "breed improvement" project, I'd say just keep the one you like the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by