6 PM tonight is my first official lockdown!! Need advice!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 4, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    [​IMG] tonight at 6 is 18 days! I need to know what the best humidity is for an lg incubator with a personally rigged mini fan for circ should be. ( im thinking 65-70%)

And also, should i use egg cartons and keep them upright , or should i lay them down on paper towels? [​IMG]

Also, the air cells seem to have enlarged as the chicks have been growing, and at the pointy end i see a snake like looking thing, looks like a thicker vein or possibly the end of the yolk? This is my first time so maybe i am explaining it wrong! Are these things normal?

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    no eggcartons. Lay them on their sides on paper towels. [​IMG] Egg cartons can make it hard for them to hatch.

That 'Snake lookin thing' may be a foot. [​IMG]

but I'm not quite sure what you mean. If it looks like a worm, then I have no idea.

3. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    I usually go to around 65%....some go lower and have good results. Once you lock it down, DO NOT OPEN until all the chicks are hatched ( if at all possible )

carton or laying down - everyone will have a different opinion. I've done it both ways. Carton is cleaner and chicks do well. don't use cardboard cartons, they can wick up the water if your troughs are overfilled. ( don't ask me how I know LOL ) Con to the carton is that you can't see if they pipped at the wrong end. Laying flat - works well, con is that they roll the eggs everywhere once they start hatching. I've seen some suggest a ponytail holder to use when laying flat to give them a little indention to stay in and perhaps not roll around - haven't tried this yet.....

Can't answer your air cell question, sorry.

GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by