6 Rhode Island Red Chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mourningdove, May 5, 2009.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hi everybody!! I just wanted to tell you how excited I was to run across a nice young man at the flea market today who was selling baby chicks! [​IMG] He hatched all the chicks in his bators! He had upwards of at least 100 babies in this cool looking brooder box he built! Anyway I picked me out 6 to bring home, they are almost 2 weeks old and I tried to use all I have read here at BYC for sexing females [​IMG] I hope I did good! Anyway just wanted to share [​IMG]

2. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    what fun...congrats! [​IMG]

3. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I forgot to mention that they were $2 each and of course I mentioned BYC to him and he promiced to check it out, he has not heard of BYC before! [​IMG]

4. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    I started with rir's last year and you are going to love them. good luck

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Congrats on your new babies!

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Congratulations! They're a nice breed--I have 11 of them!

7. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I have always heard that RIR were a mild mannered chicken, lay well in the winter and easy to handle! I just couldn't say no could I? Now I hope I sexed these ok??? Correct me if I am wrong but didn't I read somewhere on this board that females feather out faster? Also their feathering should all be close to even lenghts? I tried to look like I knew what I was doing while picking up each chick and examining it....

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The females definitely feather out faster, especially the tail feathers.
    As a first time chick owner my RIR's (and a red sexlink that disguised herself as a RIR) were amazingly easy to tell apart at a very early age.
    I'm not real clear on the feather length thing.
    I have pictures at 12 days old comparing their tail feathers on the bottom of my BYC page.

9. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    most of the chicks have feather coloring much like the little rooster at the bottom of your BYC page, does this mean I picked roosters [​IMG]

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Nope. The coloring is the same on most RIR's. My pullet is a sexlink I think, she's got white on her now.
    THe main difference is that the pullets have large tail feathers. The cockerels are over 3 weeks now, growing combs and STILL have practically no tail feathers.

Both of the brown birds in this pic are RIR cockerels:
    [​IMG]

You can see one cockerel butt that just looks like the ends of his wings (bottom left), and 2 nice tail-feathered pullet butts in this pic
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by