1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 RIR 2 BOs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewChickener784, Mar 22, 2016.

1. NewChickener784

NewChickener784 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Anybody have a guess on what sex these might be? Bought them at the farm store. I'm new to this, so all help is appreciated. Also, living in southern Iowa, do you think they are ready to go out to outdoor coop? They are a little over 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When guessing the sex on these, lets start with #1 as being top left, top center #2, top right being #3, Middle two #4&5, Bottom left #6, 7, 8.

The top picture is obviously more recent, and thus the reason I am asking if they're ready to be moved out.

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Pic 1:

At the back the one you can see the eye is pullet the one next to it is cockerel. White one is pullet. Next brown one
    down is pullet. Can't see next ones comb but by size cockerel. The white one at bottom of pic is pullet and the last brown one I can't see comb but by size guessing cockerel.

Pic 2:

Can't see any combs.

I would wait until they look big and strong enough and then put them in a outdoor coop. At 2 weeks they are probably still on heat so if your putting them out make sure they keep warm.

Good luck ;)

3. NewChickener784

Mar 21, 2016
    Right, I planned to take the heat light outside and allow them to have it another week or two. I will try to get a better picture tonight and post again for your or anybody to give me their thoughts on the sex of them. I was told at the store that they were all pullets.

I am just ready to get them out of my room, and to the coop outside! Being a rookie to this business, I have already learned a lot. For the record, they aren't stinking up the place, as I often change the bedding, but they're getting to the age that they have discovered their wings and it's hard to get any sleep at night![​IMG]

4. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Ok, depending on the breed they need between 3 and 6 weeks of heat. I usually start by turning it off in the day and on at night so they slowly get used to less heat.

I think you've got some roos in there I'm afraid! Maybe they will turn out all to be pullets. The younger they are the harder it is to tell.

I will reply when you've posted more pics

Good luck! ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    As long as you can SAFELY heat them in the coop, go ahead and move them. They are too big for that tub.

6. NewChickener784

Mar 21, 2016
    The Tub is a 4x2. You're saying RIGHT NOW they are too big for the tub?

7. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex

It looks big enough for now.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At 2 weeks old, they need about 1/2 sq ft each. By 3 weeks old, they need about 1 sq ft each. Subtracting the space feeders and waterer take up, that tub is only going to be adequate for a few more days. Chicks double in size each week for the first 6 weeks, and their space needs grow proportionately.

9. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    I think they can probably stay another 5-7 days.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They're too young to sex right now; we'll have a better idea when they're 6-8 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by