6 sick hens:1 sleepy, 1 sneezing, 1 runny eyes, 3 nasal dicharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EchoLakeHens, Aug 2, 2011.

1. EchoLakeHens

EchoLakeHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I'm a new chicken owner and I have 6 hens. 5 are 5 months old, 1 is 4 months old. The 4 month old acts sleepy all day. Eats, drinks and sleeps. She constantly has her eyes closed during the day. This has been going on for a couple days. Today I noticed my other hens seem sick. One of my rhode island reds has clear bubbles coming from the inside corner of her eyes, the other one seems to be getting the sleepy disorder. One of my other hens was sneezing and the rest have a clear nasal discharge. Could somebody please help me on what is wrong with my girls and how to fix them?
    Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds like something respiratory, you need to get them on an antibiotic, most would suggest denegard, 1 tab. to 1 gallon of water. also if you can get Oxine ah that would be another plus. Hope you can get this under control, but most likely your birds will still be carriers. heres the link to oxine info. all the best.
    www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.html and [​IMG]

3. EchoLakeHens

Aug 2, 2011
    Thank you so much for replyin! There's so much information out there that I really wanted to hear something from a person. I will try that.

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I had brought my chicken to the vet with nasal discharge and stuff they said it was some kind of respiratory infection and gave me baytril

5. Nat123

Nat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Home Sweet Home
    We had the same symptoms with ours a few months ago. Spreads rapidly from bird to bird. Treated them all with Duramycin-10 in their drinking water for about 10 days and they all cleared up. Available at your local feed store.

6. EchoLakeHens

Aug 2, 2011
    I just got some duramycin 10. I hope this helps. How long after you stopped giving it could you eat the eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by