6 to 7 week old mixed chicks cuddling at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FWChicken, May 28, 2008.

1. FWChicken

FWChicken New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Raleigh NC
    If my new chicks are all piled on each other at night, does that mean that they are too cold? They are on pine shavings in an enclosed coop. They seem fine, and perk right up in the morning when i let them out of the coop. I do have a small light for them at night not for heat but to make them feel more secure. The night temps are hovering around 65 degrees. thanks

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Sounds to me as if they are too cold especially if they are on top of each other. Mine cuddle up but stay on the floor.

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

They may be a bit too cold. I have a 100 watt bulb on mine and it keeps one end of the brooder at about 80 degrees consistently. That seems to keep my chicks happy.

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

At that age and those temps, they are not too cold. Chickens do this at bedtime.

5. FWChicken

FWChicken New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Raleigh NC
    thanks for your responses. I think that they are fine, they just like being close to each other. Should i train them to get up on the roosts in the coop i made for them? when is the age they start looking for a roost and not cuddling up? thanks

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm, that's hard to say. I have one group that started roosting spontaneously at 6 weeks, but my 7 weekers right now are not roosting yet. They are just starting to integrate more with the older ones so maybe soon for them. You can help them along if you want to try, but generally they will roost when ready, I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by