6 week Ameraucana "Easter Egger" - hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OneEye, Jun 2, 2016.

1. OneEye

OneEye Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2016
    Kansas
    Hi - new here, and new to chickens!

We have a flock of 5 chickens (2 Black Sexlink and 1 Red that are 9 weeks old, and 2 Ameraucana that are 6 weeks old), but we're beginning to suspect that one of our younger two may be a rooster. We live in town, and can't have roosters, so if "she" ends up being one, we need to rehome, and will hope to get 2 more chicks (since our local feed store is out of ducks, which we also wanted to try!)

We've spent a lot of time browsing the internet, and reading many different things: that comb color can help determine early if it's a rooster...or that it doesn't. That feather coloring can help determine hen from rooster...or that it can't. That hens CAN crow, it's usually the most dominant one - or that all hens can crow.... So much contradicting information! So now I've decided to just take the plunge, join, and post some photos to see if any of you can help!

We got Fried and Willie roughly 6 weeks ago, but a couple weeks ago we noticed "her" comb turning a bright red. Not too much longer later, Fried started making what sounded like a crowing noise. Of course, it was just once or twice, and we hadn't heard "her" do it since. Until this morning, my brother and sister in law heard some crowing, and after checking the coop, it came from where Fried was. Fried has always been a scrapper - working "her" way up the pecking order ever since we integrated them with the older chickens. "She's" still vying for 3rd from top, but the top 2 are older and bigger than "her" (the sex links) and keep "her" in line. Anyway, I tried to get some photos this morning, but I'm sure you know how chickens are!

Here is Fried:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For comparison, here's just one photo of our other 6-week old Ameraucana (and my sweetheart!!), Willy
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your help!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    At six weeks old that is a cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Agreed. I have one that looks very, very similar.

1 person likes this.
  4. OneEye

Jun 2, 2016
    Kansas
    Thank you both for your input! We are working on a new home for Fried, and have gotten 2 barred rock pullets (they're supposed to be anyway!) Nugget and Biscuit!

(Trying to add a photo of the new chicks, but doesn't seem like it's working.)

5. OneEye

Jun 2, 2016
    Kansas
    I'm not sure the etiquette on updating older posts this way, but I did want to give an update.

Fried went to a coworker of my husband, who has about 5 roosters and 30 hens. The beginning of last week, the coworker was beginning to doubt that Fried was a cockerel, because he hadn't heard any crowing from him, but he was happy and healthy regardless.

A few days after that, the coworker came to work with zero doubts that he is indeed a cockerel because apparently a hen was walking by Fried, and he took action. Lol so you both were right! Good job!

We're also beginning to suspect that one of our barred rock "babies" is a cockerel, but that's another post for another day!

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    The second picture in your first post - Fried's comb is super red, his saddle (base of tail) feathering coming in as is this hackle (neck) plus the red in his wings are another give away. Sure going to be a handsome guy :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by