1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week Barred Rock -hen or roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Montana-Hens, May 6, 2011.

1. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    [​IMG]

This barred rock is giving me pause. It should be easy but hmmmmm. It is 6 weeks old, but the comb is pinking up too soon, while the feather color says girl. Looking for your opinions.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I say name "it" Michael Jackson and just wait a while. Best thing to do if you dont know if its a boy or girl... [​IMG]

3. Souffle

Souffle Out Of The Brooder

Hi,
    I have three PBRocks and two look like your hen. See my site to see the rooster. His comb came in two weeks ahead of theirs. I think you've got a hen. Did yours come from Ohio? Maybe we have siblings.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pullet

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    hey,
    like souffle my barred rocks are just the same. my girls stayed darker and my, used to be Joan Jet, is now for sure Jet Lee. he is the same he is patterned the same but almost a grey instead of black and white and his comb is a bit different shaped at the back of it. but all three are pink in color( combs)
    good luck..
    out of the 12 Pullets I bought . 2 for sure are roos and still wondering about one of the dark Brahmas? not to bad I don't guess though..

)O(
    Pink

6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:X2 Has all the charcteristics of being a very pretty girl!

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think you're safe too [​IMG] Went back to look at my six week pics and my barred rock girl's comb was pinking up moreso than any of my other breeds...looks pretty similar to yours (although I couldn't find a good shot of whether her wattles were turning).

8. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    I would say pullet...the barring is more refinned as with the pullet trait.

9. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    color says pullet but your chicken doesnt look kosher, cant say what it is but it looks different than ones i have seen
    might just be me though

10. DebB11

DebB11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    yours looks like 1 of my 4 BR's...... I was questioning the same thing the past couple days..... this particular one of mine is making some FUNNY sounds too..... guess we will have to both wait and see to know for sure...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by