6 week chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyChickGirl, Feb 22, 2014.

1. CrazyChickGirl

CrazyChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2014
    I have three barred rock chicks that are about 6 weeks old. A few things: 1. They are still sleeping inside the house. At night right before the settle in they squeak at each other for a good 20-30 mins. It is so loud! Comments about this? 2. One is quite a bit larger then the other two and I often find her sitting on the roost and them on the ground now. This is a new behavior. Previously they all slept on the roost together. Any thoughts on this? During the day they have lots of room to play outside and generally seem very happy. We are moving them out to the coop at night in a few days hopefully.

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I just moved this years batch into their outside brooder. Chicks are quite vocal, mine peep and peep at each other pretty much all the time--sometimes quite loudly, except when they fall asleep.[​IMG] The issue with the bigger chick: sounds like this one may be starting to assert his/her dominance over the others. For the bigger size, it is possible that you may have a rooster, although it could just be a bigger hen. I have one JG hen that's huge compared to the other of the same breed. Only time will tell for sure. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by