6 week EE's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sherrydeanne, Apr 7, 2009.

1. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok guys, help [​IMG] They're 5 weeks 5 days old and straight run. I know the pictures aren't great, but if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear. Can anyone tell me when the roosterish coloring might start? They all have hennish coloring it seems. No major size differences or leg differences. Probably still too early to tell, eh?

There are 3 in question. The darker chick #1 has a tall red comb but it's only the middle section that's big and pink. The second chick I think is a cockeral for sure and number 3 I think is maaaybe a pullet? I think boy, boy, girl.

Number 1: Super iffy due to my inexperience, I'm leaning boy due to the reddness of the comb but it's only the center part, not all 3 sections of the rose.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number 2: Cockeral? His tail is V shaped like #1 and he loves to chest bump number 1. He's also getting some odd head feathering.

[​IMG]

Number 3: Pullet?
    [​IMG]

All 3. Top right is 3, then 2, and 1 on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

#1 up top, 3 on bottom. Little chica is on the left, any ideas? He's about 4 weeks now and I'm leaning boy, yet again.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Your number 3 looks very similar to my "roo". I'm not sure yet if he is a she lol. Your number 3's comb looks exactly like mine. They are also about the same age.

My other EE's are too young to compare yet, but hopefully someone can add some insight [​IMG]

Bluemoon

Here's my EE in question. We've been calling him Merlin, but who knows lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was him about a week or so ago..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  3. sherrydeanne

Well if he's a boy, I have ALL roo's [​IMG]

4. Bluemoon420

I dunno. On mine, his/her comb is yellow, and not much of a comb. Sometimes he acts like a roo, sometimes he acts like a hen. I can't use my other EE's to compare him/her yet either. They are much younger.

It's ok if Merlin is a Mirlena tho [​IMG] I have other chicks, and maybe one of them is.

Sooo confusing.

Bluemoon

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

In your last picture top left and top and bottom right...those are roos. You have the other pics labeled correctly. 1 roo 2 roo 3 pullet [​IMG] (I did not know if you wanted to know that the silver headed and the solid red one are roos too......if you didn't sorry) [​IMG]

6. sherrydeanne

The red chick is supposed to be a golden comet sex-link, so it better be a girl! [​IMG] So yeah, I'm thinking that I got 3 out of 4 EE roos. ARGH [​IMG] I went back out this afternoon and 3's comb is awfully pink.... maybe it's 4/4 roos.

Can someone show me pics of 5-6 week old EE pullets?

I guess I could sell the whole lot and start over, might be easier than introducing newbies.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    #3 is definitely a pullet and so is BlueMoon's chick.

#1 looks like a roo to me, but not 100% sure
    #2 could go either way, but I'm leaning towards pullet (chest bumping is normal with pullets too)

Some EEs are hard to sex. Out of my 3 EEs, I knew for sure that 2 of them were pullets early on, but the 3rd had me puzzled till the end. She was much bigger (heavier) than the other two (still is), had a larger, pinker comb, and had more boyish feather coloring. She's now laying eggs for me (1st to lay at only 22 weeks).

These pictures show all 3 EEs at 7-8 weeks of age - the one in question is in the back of the 1st photo and at the front of the second photo (more photos are on my BYC page).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bluemoon420

Trying to notice any differences and I can't in yours. They all look similar.

The one that we are calling Merlin for now is our oldest. He/She doesn't even have a comb showing. It's not even pink, it's still yellow.

In any case, It's ok if Merlin is a she because we have one buff orp slightly younger than merlin who acts rooish at times. She's basically a punk [​IMG] The orp I'm pretty sure is a girl. The two Isa's are girls

Our others are just over a week old, and can't tell with them yet. 3 EE's and 3 RIR's

9. sherrydeanne

You can rename Merlin=Marilyn [​IMG] If you end up with too many pullets, we could swap. Looks like I need several.

10. Bluemoon420

Poor Merlin/Merilyn having an idenity crisis. I'll be amazed if I don't end up with any roo's at all. What are the odds of that!

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by