6 week hen can't seem to walk - now right leg is sticking out oddly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken_wittle, Apr 6, 2018.

1. chicken_wittle

chicken_wittle Hatching

Apr 6, 2018
    After relocating we've decided to get chickens again. This time, our children talked us into chicks. They are approximately 5 weeks old (+/-), mostly feathered.

Went to bed all chicks were fine. Went to feed in the morning and noticed the others were just walking over one...even perching on her but not pecking her. In caution, we decided to separate her and observe. We noticed she was weak and not wanting to walk. My daughter hand fed/watered the thing until it was able to eat/drink on her own. The chick was also trying to stand and walk although you could see she was weak. Fast forward 4 days and the chicken can't walk or stand at all. Her righ leg seems to just stick out causing the bird to either sit between her legs or on one side only. To get around she flops around. Really sad. My daughter today researched youtube and discovered splayed legs and the rubber band trick. It's only day one and I don't know what else to do, how long to wait, or if/when/how to dispatch the bird.

Any information/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Emu whisperer

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    Is the leg sticking out infront of it? If you pinch the toes on that leg, does it try to pull back or do you not get any reaction?

3. chicken_wittle

chicken_wittle Hatching

Apr 6, 2018
    The leg sticks out either in front of or to it's 2:00. My daughter just pinched all the toes. It doesn't pull back (as if in pain). It can curl its toes on its own...not sure if any of that helps. I'm totally new to this and my daughter wants to exhaust all resources before putting it down...she's like the pollyana of animals :/

FishMtFarm likes this.
  4. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Emu whisperer

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    If the leg seems paralyzed or becomes paralyzed, put it down. More than likely if that happens it is Meraks disease and the longer the bird lives, the more it will shed the disease thru feather dander and endanger the other birds. It's good you have them separated but that dander can spread on your cloths. Hopefully it gets using the leg again. Please keep us posted.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is a little young for Mareks symptoms, although it is possible. A leg bone deformity such as varus valgus deformity in one or both legs can be common, and the hock tendon can become ruptured.
    An injury could also have been a problem.
    Most people try chick vitamins with leg problems, and a chicken sling can be helpful to get them up and in front of food and water in small containers--Google for pictures of chicken slings. Sorry about your lame chick.

6. chicken_wittle

chicken_wittle Hatching

Apr 6, 2018
    She broke a rubber band sling that we created. This is Goldie. Where does one buy chicken vitamins? Tractor supply did not. Going to try another brwce maybe made from medical tape or a vet wrap for more stability?
    Thank you for suggestions. My 10 year old is highly appreciative. Thankfully Goldie still eats and drinks.

Attached Files:

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tractor supply usually has a variety of chicken or animal vitamins, such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench that can be given orally, or the powder ones to add to water such as Durvet, Rooster Booster, SaveAChick, and others. They are for all animals cows, goats, chickens, and sheep. Some use liquid baby vitamins without iron as well.

8. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Emu whisperer

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    Also put something different down that isn't slippery and smooth, like those throw away puppy pee pads or some old towels. Slippery surface will just make her legs spread worse.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Try an old Tshirt or some mesh as a new sling. I would also look at possible spraddle leg or splay leg again as a problem. You can make a leg hobble with vet wrap strips, tape, or bandaids cut in half lengthwise. Try to bring the legs within 1 1/4 inch of each other, and leave this on for 3-5 days. Check it after 3 days and replace if needed.

10. chicken_wittle

chicken_wittle Hatching

Apr 6, 2018
    Update:
    So she has been wrapped, for lack of better words, since Sunday. She is standing on her own now. My daughter thought she needed fresh air lol.

How long do we keep this brace/wrap thing on? What's common? Should we first try to remove it first and see how she does without it? Put it back on if needed?

I'm sure my questions may seem juvenile but we want to do the right thing the right way.

Thank you for all the help/suggestions.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: