6 week old african geese wings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by encorepistol, Jul 31, 2011.

1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    I just bought 3 Africans today from a lady who got them from ideal. They all 3 have wing tips that are starting to feather in and they are drooping out away from the body. Is this something to worry about or will they grow out of it.

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Can you post pics? It might be the beginnings of angel wing....

3. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    [​IMG] does that help? About the best I can do with my phone and they wont hold still for me lol

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Yes they have "angel wing" I think it can be corrected by folding the wings properly and taping or wrapping in the correct position. you will probably need an extra set of hands to fold and wrap. and they may slip out of the tape/wrap quickly If they haven't unwrap after 5-7 days and see if it is corrected if not wrap again. You may want to search for more information on this condition.

5. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
  6. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Watched the video in the link and taped the wings using the recommended tape. Left in on for four days and all the geese are fine now!! Im so glad it worked!!!!!

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:I could not find the video.

8. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
  9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Thank you very much. It is a good video. I was wondering. Would angle wing apply to Sebastapols? In my opinion I would say no because to me the feathers are heavy for them and hard to place because they are not straight. Also, the fact that the feathers break off most of the time. That's what I have noticed on my geese. Could I be wrong?

10. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    From what Ive read it is common in Sebbies but doesnt affect the look due to the character of the curly feathers but Im far from knowlegable on the subject. The 3 africans are my first geese so Im just learning about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by